I'm New And Trying To Find Out How To Get Help...
4 min read
Greetings Everyone!
I'm new to the community. My computer has been running noticeably slower for about two weeks, but I haven't had time to address the problem. Firefox and Opera run sluggishly, yet my Spybot and Adaware scans were normal. Yesterday, Adaware started shutting down halfway through the scan, and giving an error message about "location 0xc000000d" and "error 0x1006853e"; then it says there is a statement about "service error 6100" and "terminating gracefully". I tried reinstalling the program, but to no avail. Usually, only my family and I use this computer, and I check it regularly with Spybot and Adaware. Aside from the sluggishness, I've noticed a few unexplained high use of resources and high activity on the firewall (ZoneAlarm) when nothing is running.
I would greatly appreciate any and/or direction to a forum where I could get some help.
Thanks much,
JML
Welcome to WhatTheTech Chemistman,
Please give us a PCPitstop Full Tests techExpress.
Do you have installation CD for your XP operating system?
____________________
Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.
The Full Tests take about 2-3 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information into this thread, along with answers to the above questions.
Best Regards
Thanks for your reply! In answer to your questions, I don't have the installation CD, but I think that there is a partition on the hard drive for recovery purposes (at least that is what I was told when I asked about it when buying the computer). Also, I'll look around my lab again to see if there was any CD's that came with the computer.
TechExpress link for your current results:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=7UBGHWGQHDVS6PDV
Thanks for your help!
Jim
Hi Tallin!
Thanks for your reply! In answer to your questions, I don't have the installation CD, but I think that there is a partition on the hard drive for recovery purposes (at least that is what I was told when I asked about it when buying the computer). Also, I'll look around my lab again to see if there was any CD's that came with the computer.
TechExpress link for your current results:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=7UBGHWGQHDVS6PDV
Thanks for your help!
Jim
Hi Jim,
I will ask 'Doug' to advise you from here as he is a Moderator on PCPitstop and one of the best to help you further. You have a really nice machine there so it is important that you get the very best of advice and help. I am also going away for two months tomorrow.
kind regards,
And welcome to WhatTheTech Forums.
Glad to have you aboard.
I would greatly appreciate any and/or direction to a forum where I could get some help.
Thanks much,
JML
Tallin got you started and properly welcomed!
So let's move over to a Forum where we can do some work.
Most of the work here at WTT gets done in the Malware Removal Forum or either of the Hardware or Software Forums.
I suggest you open a topic in Software - Microsoft Windows
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Microsoft_Windows_f119.html
For starters, we'll be looking at the fact that you appear to have (2) two antivirus security programs installed.
This is not recommended and nearly always leads to conflicts developing.
Hop on over to our Microsoft Windows Forum and Create a New Topic, such as "Machine Slowing Down"
We may need to have you start a Topic in the Malware Removal Forum, but I'd rather not get you scattered into multiple posts right off the bat.
See you in Microsoft Windows Forum.
Best Regards,
Doug
Thanks very much for your help, Tallin, and best wishes for your vacation!
![]()
Jim
Thanks for the response.
Best regards,