This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] My Computer Is Running Slow And The Pop Ups Won't

16 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This is my usual speech for when you are clean, which you appear to be.

Please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
Disable and Enable System Restore.

It's also a good idea to Flush your System Restore points after ridding yourself of malware:
  • Click Start | Help and Support | Undo changes to your computer with System Restore.
  • Click Create A Restore Point then click Next. Give it a name it and then click Create, then Close.
  • Close the Help and Support Center box.
  • Click Start | Run and type Cleanmgr
  • Select (C: ) then click OK.
  • Click the More Options tab.
  • Click Clean Up in the System Restore Section.
This will remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Here are some free programs, I recommend.

Spybot Search and Destroy
Download it from here . Just choose a mirror and off you go.
Find here the tutorial on how to use Spybot properly here

Install Spyware Guard
Download it from here
Find here the tutorial on how to use Spyware Guard here

Install SpyWare Blaster
Download it from here
Find here the tutorial on how to use Spyware Blaster here

Install WinPatrol
Download it from here
Here you can find information about how WinPatrol works here


Make sure your Windows is ALWAYS up to date!

An unpatched Windows is vulnerable and even with the "best" Antivirus and Firewall installed, malware will find its way through.
So visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ to download and install the latest updates.


Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system.

Please check out Tony Klein's article "How did I get infected in the first place?"


Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Glad I was able to help.
OMG!!!!!!!!! You fixed me! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!! I love this site. I will tell everyone I know about it. You saved me from Geek Squad and loot I didn't have. Yah! I'm just tickled pink. Thanks Again Scotty. BornaJesusfreak!
OMG!!!!!!!!! You fixed me! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!! I love this site. I will tell everyone I know about it. You saved me from Geek Squad and loot I didn't have. Yah! I'm just tickled pink. Thanks Again Scotty. BornaJesusfreak!
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI