This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Processes Running Invisibly?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello folks,

I am experiencing the rather odd phenomonen of Windows XP shutting down and in the process a pop-up tells me that various programs are not responding. I get the option to end the program immediately. Which can be quite normal except, in a few instances just recently, I deliberately closed all programs before closing XP and still got the error message and pop-up. I also checked the Task Manager before logging off but couldn't see two images of anthing.

For ages (5mths?) I got this message about a .dll file that I thought, from its name, was a US Robotics modem file that "couldn't run because Windows was shutting down". As I am now using cable ADSL I ignored it, except to think I really ought to get around to removing the modem card and its drivers! :)

The programs most frequently apparently still running are:
Opera
explorer.exe, (sometime two images).
I can't remember the other names since they vary (depending on the weather! :) ).

Whilst not a major fault it is non the less irritating and I would really appreciate any help. It is another computer stupidity occasioned by something not happening when it should (like a computer saying a stopped clock was more accurate than a clock losing or gaining 1 sec. a month - OK an example from Pet Commodore days :) !)
Which Operating System is this problem occurring in? Does the machine have Dual Boot (two or more Operating Systems)? __________ Are you running either McAfee or Norton security products? _________ How about Security issues? Have you run your antivirus/antispyware to assure that you are not infected? How about an online scan at Kaspersky? _________ Sometimes you'll experience a "hang" at shutdown if MS or your Antivirus has waited to download/install updates. Could that be the case, in your situation? Best Regards
Thank you for your interest and response.

]Which Operating System is this problem occurring in?

Errr, didn't I say Windows XP in the first paragraph?


Does the machine have Dual Boot (two or more Operating Systems)?

It was a dual boot (XP and Vista) until a few weeks ago when my PC was infected and I had to re-format the XP partition. Since then I have not seen the option to select the operating system (next thing to sort out). So you decide whether it is a dual boot system :). Linux is on a separate PC (and very nice too! - no bloody malware!).


Are you running either McAfee or Norton

No thank you. I prefer BitDef, STOPzilla, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and Sophos Anti-Rootkit.


How about Security issues?

Thanks to a long and exhaustive corespondence with your colleagues on the Malware Removal topic in this forum my PC is clean.


Sometimes you'll experience a "hang" at shutdown if MS or your Antivirus has waited to download/install updates.
Could that be the case, in your situation?

Extemely unlikely because the PC responds normally and I don't ever see the usual indication of something downloading (all downloading options are set to advise me of download but to do it anyway).

Errr, didn't I say Windows XP in the first paragraph?


Yes, you did, more than once.
I apologize.
But for some reason, I kept thinking that this sounded like a Vista problem I recently worked on.
So I asked.

It's very late for me now.
I'll look in on this topic again in the morning.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI