This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Hijack This Log...

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, Big Newbie at this.. I hope I have the right location.. If not I apologize :unsure: I have noticed that my Norton Firewall is sometimes disabled at startup.. and when I try to enable it, It tells me that I am not the Administrator. If I reboot, the problem usually goes away. I ran Spybot and immunized .. but the problem still happens once in awhile.. I am thinking of just reformating everything.. :( Any suggestions as to what I can do.. or try.. Differant virus scanner etc.. Anything?? Please !
I see I did the log wrong… :blink:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.94.0
Scan saved at 10:03:22 PM, on 6/25/2003
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page=http://www.interbaun.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page=C:\WINDOWS\System32\blank.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page=%SystemRoot%\system32\blank.htm
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - c:\program files\Adobe\Acrobat Reader 5\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {62999427-33FC-4baf-9C9C-BCE6BD127F08} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\Updreg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GhostStartTrayApp] C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\GhostStartTrayApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 3.5\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpybotSnD] "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CookiePatrol] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\CookiePatrol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PPMemCheck] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PPMemCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PestPatrolCL] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PestPatrolCL.exe c:\
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KeyPatrol] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\KeyPatrol.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/200212…meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {597C45C2-2D39-11D5-8D53-0050048383FE} (OPUCatalog Class) - http://office.microsoft.com/productupdates…ontent/opuc.cab
O16 - DPF: {69DEAF94-AF66-11D3-BEC0-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2003050…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/…7657.4141319444
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab

I am very sorry about that… sigh…
Well not much wrong that I see. Apart from this one entry. Have Hijack This fix it by placing a check in the appropriate box and hitting fix checked. Make sure to close all browser and all Windows Explorer windows before fixing. Reboot when done.

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {62999427-33FC-4baf-9C9C-BCE6BD127F08} - (no file)

Incidentally I don't think it would affect your firewall from starting up…

But try this, get the newest version of Hijack This and scan. It will list your running processes.

Get it at http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/h…/hijackthis.zip

Post a new log.
Thank you Galadriel!! I am going to try what you said.. I have downloaded the new Hijack this file and I will repost it. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!
Hello,

Here is the scan after I got version 1.95 going..

Thanks for your time!


Logfile of HijackThis v1.95.0
Scan saved at 10:37:27 PM, on 6/27/2003
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPxySvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\NORTON~1\GHOSTS~2.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\GhostStartTrayApp.exe
C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 3.5\THGuard.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\CookiePatrol.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PPMemCheck.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PestPatrolCL.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Rory\LOCALS~1\Temp\G7K.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Rory\My Documents\Anti Hack\hijackthis\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page=http://www.interbaun.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page=C:\WINDOWS\System32\blank.htm
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - c:\program files\Adobe\Acrobat Reader 5\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\Updreg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GhostStartTrayApp] C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\GhostStartTrayApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 3.5\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpybotSnD] "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CookiePatrol] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\CookiePatrol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PPMemCheck] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PPMemCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PestPatrolCL] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PestPatrolCL.exe c:\
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KeyPatrol] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\KeyPatrol.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/200212…meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {597C45C2-2D39-11D5-8D53-0050048383FE} (OPUCatalog Class) - http://office.microsoft.com/productupdates…ontent/opuc.cab
O16 - DPF: {69DEAF94-AF66-11D3-BEC0-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2003050…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/…7657.4141319444
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab
Kendo,

Nothing seems nasty in there…

Try cleaning up some startups you don't need. Like Spybot, you can start that manually. And you can probably eliminate some other startups as well.

Here's a good source of info to look up your startups and help you determine whether they are needed or not.

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

If no joy, try uninstalling Norton and reinstalling it.

Hope this helps,

Cat
Why don't you cut down a little on your startups….like maybe Spybot and Pest Patrol. Run them manually if you suspect something. Too many things loading at once could cause the problem you are describing.
Thanks for your help! I thought there might be too many startup files, but I wasnt sure which I could delete safely. My computer is taking awhile to boot nowadays. That link you provided will help me figure out which ones… Just so I understand correctly, you are talking about selective startup.. using MSconfig, right? I appreciate your time Galadriel and mjc!
Yes Kendo. Or in each of the programs there ought to be an option to stop it from running at startup. Like in Spybot, I know there is one. If you go to Settings - Settings and uncheck the options under Automation. There probably is something similar in those apps. Or do it with MSConfig. Cheers and glad to help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI