This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Avg Free Ok For Use On Xp Pro Sp1?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I hope this is the right forum… I just removed some malware from a PC that has XP Pro SP1 on it. The machine controls a CD duplicator via custom software. On occasion, the owner will go online to update a CD designer program that is also on the PC. I want to install AVG Free Anti-Virus on the machine, but I can't tell from their website if it's compatible with this operating system. I realize there are security holes in SP1, but an upgrade to SP2 might be risky because of the older CD duplicating program. I would just like to have some kind of security in place (like AVG + Zone Alarm) for the occasional online visit. If anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it. -TIA
Greetings Auxxo,

I have a couple of thoughts.

1. Nothing beats having the maker of a piece of software tell you if its compatible. I do belive AVG has a forum and contact emails for Techsupport

AVG TECHSUPPORT

2. Dont do any internet with it and bring program updates in from removable media (usb, optical, external device) pre scanned for virus/malware

3. Get a real router/firewall and configure it to only go to specfic urls only and block everything else. This is called a access control list. I am concerned that the firewall/antivirus running full time on a production machine might not have performance issues because of real-time scanning.

I have see this once or twice with Mccaffee and optical burning and playback functions. The anivirus thought it had to scan realtime any burning process and playback. Ruined disks and made playback video and sound choppy. Dont know if AVG will do that. So see number 1 suggestion.


Regards

KAZ.
Kazzoo, Thank you for responding. I have emailed AVG on this, but so far there is no response. Their forum apparently requires potential members to install AVG before they can register to post - a bit of a catch 22 for me since my question is pre-installation :scratch: I appreciate your input on anti-virus programs, and on the internet alternatives. I think I am going to do a bit more research before plotting my next move. Best, Auxxo
I'm currently running it on an XP SP2 machine at home, but I have run it on SP1. Of course that was before they changed to version 7.5. I can't imageine that there would be a problem with it however. Also, it sounds like the free edition may not be suitable for that machine. Bear in mind that AVG Free is ONLY for home use and not any sort of commercial or business use.
Hi Auxxo, Just to reinforce the sounds words of advice provided by Baustech1 it is important that the free versions of AVG and other free software are only installed and used within the limits of the software licences concerned. Avg Free is a great programme but is not for business/commercial use (there are excellent "paid for" versions available that I have experience of and that have served me and my colleagues well in the past. It may be of course that the computer you are considering installing AVG Free on is not used at all for any commercial or business purposes and so there would be no problem with the license Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI