This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Free Antivirus running on XP SP1

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all, I'm looking for a FREE anti-virus program that will run and update on Win XP service pack 1. Obviously, I do not expect anyone to be able to offer a guarantee that any compatible software will remain so for any length of time. REASON (for those who are interested!): I am using a piece of music hardware - Digidesign (Pro Tools) Digi001 and Digidesign have decided to only offer support to XP users on SP2 or above. As I cannot afford to upgrade the hardware/Pro Tools software (and why should I if it still works fine?) I am stuck with no anti-virus software. I was using AVG Free but now they also only support SP2+ Looking forward to your suggestions. Cheers! Cat
Sorry I don't follow, also this isn't the correct section for this so will ask the guy's to move it when they get a chance, but in the mean time have you got that the wrong way round ?
The music part appears to be what's restricting you, but I don't understand about the service packs, above you say:-

I'm looking for a FREE anti-virus program that will run and update on Win XP service pack 1

But then you go on to say:-

and Digidesign have decided to only offer support to XP users on SP2 or above

Hence my confusion, service packs are free, and highly advised to keep up to date as they close security holes, so if you could clarify this for me then I can better understand what you need.

Why are you still at SP1? Microsoft no longer offers support for SP1 - you need to update your OS



Hi CatByte,

I'm still on SP1 solely because of the hardware/software as explained in my previous post - it won't run if I upgrade OS to SP2+. Hence my anti-virus problem.

Luckily, I do have another PC that is completely up to date but the other one is just for running the music stuff.

Thanks for your reply.

Cat

Sorry I don't follow, also this isn't the correct section for this so will ask the guy's to move it when they get a chance, but in the mean time have you got that the wrong way round ?
The music part appears to be what's restricting you, but I don't understand about the service packs, above you say:-

I'm looking for a FREE anti-virus program that will run and update on Win XP service pack 1

But then you go on to say:-

and Digidesign have decided to only offer support to XP users on SP2 or above

Hence my confusion, service packs are free, and highly advised to keep up to date as they close security holes, so if you could clarify this for me then I can better understand what you need.



Apologies for posting in the wrong section; this is the first time I've used this forum.

Yes, it is a bit confusing! Hope my other post clears things up but just to reiterate:

Digidesign no longer provide updates for hardware/software for Digi001 - therefore I would have to upgrade to Digi002/03 but a) my Digi001 works fine and B) I can't afford £1000+ to upgrade.

I would like to upgrade my OS to SP2+ but cannot because Digi001 will not run on SP2/3.

Therefore, I am happy to have that PC running XP SP1 as long as I can find anti-virus software that does not require SP2+……PHEW!

My only option, if I cannot find suitable anti-virus software is to run AVG from other PC via network.

Cat

Have you tried Avast ?
I looked at the requirements and they don't mention service packs, so you may be lucky there.



Hi again 8210Guy.

I will take a look at Avast and let you know how I get on. Thank you so much for your time.

Cat
Hi catnappin, And Welcome to WTT Forums. Your Topic will be fine in this Forum, and you've already attracted some high quality helpers. They are, of course, correct to make the points about OS service packs. And your own concern and situation anticipates the very same issue. While you "might" be successful finding a competent AV to run on that Service Pack, an AV utility will not protect you from OS vulnerabilities. ______________________- It seems you are wanting to create and enhance "protection", but may only have ability to utilize "removal" strategies after the fact. Not good. There are plenty of stand-alone (create a CD) scans offered by the major brand AV's that you should be able to use to run scans against that OS hard drive… but that is not the same as "protection"/prevention that could alert to new attempts to infect. Hopefully the machine is at least behind a NAT router. _________________________ It would seem to me that it would not be safe to use that machine on the internet for general browsing and download. If you are going to use the machine specifically for "a piece of music hardware - Digidesign (Pro Tools) Digi001" Then you may be best advised to isolate the machine for only that purpose and only transfer new files to that machine from a known good computer that has updated "protection" in place.
Hi guys! I've been using ZenOK for a while and I'm quite happy with it..its totally for free :D :D and it has a Online Backup….and the ultra-light scan and Boot-up Protection works like a charm for me … Check it out :)
Jackio,

You may have had a happy experience with ZenOK …. up to this point.

However, the offers and promises of ZenOK are right on the edge of, or maybe over the edge of: "Too good to be True"

This company from Curacao, Columbia, The Netherlands, and Hong Kong does have a few free download locations on the Net, but very few Reviews.
However, most of the advanced and promised services are fee based.

There is Absolutely No Reason, to believe that use of ZenOK can obviate the need for the owner/user to keep their own system updated to the most recent Service Pack.

The operation of ZenOK appears to be "excessively" aggressive in taking control of the local user's computer, including performing (supposedly beneficial) operations on the local computer, and regularly transmitting the users configuration and data to multiple third-party backup providers.

Lottsa good Stuff. Lottsa astounding promises. Lottsa enticements of free high tech services and cash value reimbursements.

"Too good to be True?"

WTT Forums does not support or endorse this ZenOK product or services, at this time.
catnappin,

From digidesigns page;

*Digidesign has officially qualified Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Pro Tools|HD, HD Accel, Digi 002, Digi 002 Rack, and Mbox systems only. Although you may be able to use Service Pack 2 with Digi 001 and Pro Tools LE 6.4, it has not been tested and is therefore not officially qualified with Digi 001. If you do choose to install SP2, please follow our recommended steps prior to upgrading to help insure a smooth upgrade: Recommended Steps for Installing Windows XP SP2


However… there are apparently other users out there actually running on SP2 and SP3:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=255770
Good Read TomK Catnappin I know how you feel, I have an old program I still used on this machine and that is the main reason for me not to upgrade to Windows 7. Now as Doug pointed out and it may be impossible, but to keep that machine offline and just use another machine most current to do what you need to do, and have current scanners to scan files or what not before putting it into the machine with the software you are using. I know a lot of people here in town who do that very thing. I tried Avast on a early SP2 machine and it installed and ran, so I am not sure how you came out yet. Hang in their, you have some real fine folks here with a lot of experiance and they will be able to guide you into the right direction. Have a Good Day. Jimbo1

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI