Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91865 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can't Access Web : Firewall Disable : Antispyware Disable

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JFoster

JFoster

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:25 AM

All of a sudden my laptop will not diplay web pages. I have access to multiple wireless connections that have all worked fine in the past. Doesn't matter which one I am connected to or what page I try to open it just clicks over and over until I hit the STOP button and it shows a "page cannot be displayed" page. Just running the McAffee that came on the Dell laptop, plus Ad Aware and SBS&D. Ran the AA and SBS&D and deleted the problems found but it still does it. Ran them a few more times. AA comes up clean now but SBS&D continously brings up 2 threats . One with "firewall disable" in the title and one with "antispyware disable" in the title. Any help is appreciated. Using a comp at work to post this since mine won't work. My college classes start monday so I really need my laptop to work. Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:31 AM

It may be a simple matter that your laptop has lost its assigned address (IP)
or it could be that if you are using various access sources, that your laptop's IP is already in use by someone else on the network.

To fix this you can "refresh" your IP, and refresh your DNS (domain name service)

Since you are off to college and may continue to be using a variety of internet access services, it might be a good idea for you to print out these instructions so that they will be available to you for future use.

Start - Run - (type)cmd
this will bring up a DOS Box display with a blinking cursor

At the blinking cursor type the following commands in sequence, waiting for the procedures to complete before entering the next command:

ipconfig /release - enter <-- notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /renew - enter <-- notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /flushDNS - enter <-- notice the required space before the "/"

(Each of the above ipconfig steps may take from a few seconds to a minute or so to complete.
Wait for the blinking cursor to return before moving on to typing the next command.)

If the above does not remedy the problem, try this Next:
go here:
http://files.webatta...insockxpFix.exe
Download Winsockxpfix.exe to your Desktop

Run Winsockxpfix.exe

For additional information about Winsockfix.exe you may read, here:
The graphical presentation walks the user through the entire process.
http://www.iup.edu/h...net/winfix.shtm

Please post back with your progress.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 JFoster

JFoster

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Doug. I tried the commands - still does it. DLed the Winsock here at work to disc and ran it on my laptop - still does it. The only thing I have found to be able to connect to the web is SBS&D ... it connected and retrieved its updates ... after which I had a clean scan, also clean with AA and McAffee virus scan. But none of my other programs can connect , including McAffee and AA (can't update). I am going to try to find a dial up connection and see if it will display that way. But I really need the wireless at the college. Thanks for the help. LMK if you need anymore info from me ... HJT or whatever else I can do.

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:53 AM

What's the connection status in Control Panel - Network Connections - Wireless Connection?

What Selections do you have set in your Browser - Tools - Internet Options - Connections(tab)
Should be "Never dial a connections" if you are using IE. And LAN should be set to "Automatically Detect Settings"
Should be "Direct connection to the Internet" if you are using FireFox.

Clear out your C:\Temp and C:\Documents and Settings\(yourusername)\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Clear out your JAVA Cache (and update your JAVA Runtime Environment when you get back on the Net with a browser)

Consider installing a browser alternative like FireFox 2.0.0.4 or Opera, at least temporarily until you get this problem resolved.

When installing FireFox or Opera, you will be offered an option to "Import" settings from IE. --- Don't.
Instead, manually select connection options.

Odd that Spybot Search & Destroy can connect while your browser and other utilities can.
________

Yes, download HJT to a floppy or CD at your office. Run HJT and save a log. Copy the log to Floppy or CD and post into our Malware Removal Forum here:
http://forums.tomcoy...emoval_f27.html

Please reply with a link to your HJT posting, here into this Forum (link only please, since we do not respond to HJT Logs here) so that I can take a look at the HJT Log and see if anything reveals itself.

When you do get connected to the Internet, Run the Full Tests at http://www.pcpitstop.com
Post the TechExpress Link to your Results, here into this thread.

Best Regards

#5 JFoster

JFoster

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:08 PM

What's the connection status in Control Panel - Network Connections - Wireless Connection? - connected signal strength "very good"

What Selections do you have set in your Browser - Tools - Internet Options - Connections(tab)
Should be "Never dial a connections" if you are using IE. And LAN should be set to "Automatically Detect Settings" - yes
Should be "Direct connection to the Internet" if you are using FireFox. - not using

Clear out your C:\Temp and C:\Documents and Settings\(yourusername)\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
Deleted temp files, cookies, forms, passwords, etc in internet options
Clear out your JAVA Cache (and update your JAVA Runtime Environment when you get back on the Net with a browser)- you lost me there ... sorry :scratch:

Consider installing a browser alternative like FireFox 2.0.0.4 or Opera, at least temporarily until you get this problem resolved.

When installing FireFox or Opera, you will be offered an option to "Import" settings from IE. --- Don't.
Instead, manually select connection options.

Odd that Spybot Search & Destroy can connect while your browser and other utilities can.
________

Yes, download HJT to a floppy or CD at your office. Run HJT and save a log. Copy the log to Floppy or CD and post into our Malware Removal Forum here:
http://forums.tomcoy...emoval_f27.html

Please reply with a link to your HJT posting, here into this Forum (link only please, since we do not respond to HJT Logs here) so that I can take a look at the HJT Log and see if anything reveals itself.

When you do get connected to the Internet, Run the Full Tests at http://www.pcpitstop.com
Post the TechExpress Link to your Results, here into this thread.

Best Regards

I am on here with my laptop now, I have found that I can access the web with the browser that opens with AIM (AOL Explorer) but not my Internet Explorer shortcut on the desktop. I am gonna work on getting the HJT log on and the pcpitstop stuff done as well. Thanks again.

#6 JFoster

JFoster

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:32 AM

HJT Log -> http://forums.tomcoy...ble_t82392.html

#7 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:25 PM

Deleted temp files, cookies, forms, passwords, etc in internet options
Clear out your JAVA Cache (and update your JAVA Runtime Environment when you get back on the Net with a browser)- you lost me there ... sorry

To Clear your JAVA Cache (the place were ActiveX and other scripts are stored)

Control Panel - (double-click on)JAVA
This brings up JAVA Control Panel
Select - Temporary Internet Files - Settings - then press - Delete Files

#8 JFoster

JFoster

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:02 PM

Control Panel -> Java Plug In -> Plug In Control Panel (Cache Tab) ->

Shows
Cache Settings:
C:\Documents and Settings\James Foster\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0

Clear that out?

Thanks

EDIT: No responces to my HJT log :thumbdown: Here's my pcpitstop stuff http://www.pcpitstop...PHCHWYJU4VSQZ7V

Edited by JFoster, 21 August 2007 - 04:26 PM.

#9 JFoster

JFoster

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

Still using the AOL Explorer .... no thoughts on why my Internet Explorer gave up?

#10 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:05 PM

Hi JFoster, If you are still wanting assistance with the machine, please Run a fresh PCPitstop and post the new TechExpress. Your old TechExpress has expired. Sorry about the delay in responding. Best Regards