This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Graphics Problem? (sigh!)

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello Love/Hate problem with my PC has dipped into the 'hate' state again. What happens is that I am getting a black screen for a second or two, then back to page. This carries on for about 3 times then my monitor slips onto standby (or the mouse cursor freezes when I move it across the screen). Only option then is a reboot (sometimes that works, sometimes not). I have tried a post on the HJT log but it seems I am malware free. I have tried SFC scan, removing some games to free up space, Reg Scrub, system restore 'til the cows come home, defrag, prayer…. The reason I think it may be graphical in nature is that the problem seems to be most consistent (recently) when I am in Word 2003 and the font etc goes all peculiar. Also, some of my games that were graphics heavy crashed (which has never been a problem before) I have tried uninstalling and downloading NVIDIA drivers and also decreased the graphics accelerator via the settings panel (whatever that means). Sometimes it is trouble free for a couple of days but always slides back to the black-screen, monitor standby problem. Does this ring bells with anyone? Thanks Nelclaret
Sounds like one of two things. Heat. Therefore use a can of compressed air to clean dust bunnies out of your computer case. Failing Video Card. Could need to be inspected and physically seated again. Could be connectors not fully seated Could be the Video Card Fan has stopped, therefore overheating Could be just failing. do you have a spare Video Card that you could swap in to test? Hopefully, others will have more/better options, but for now, try the above. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI