This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

PC randomly rebooting or going into reboot cycle after start-up

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've been working with Catbyte over on the malware forums because my PC is randomly going into reboot cycles that keep rebooting my PC over and over again. My issue started about a little over a week ago after playing Mass Effect 2. Though my PC didn't have troubles playing the game, I noticed from time to time numerous multi-colored lines at the very edges of the screen, the part of the monitor that normally stays black. Aside from that I had no other issues. My pc never froze or crashed while in-game, but after I stopped playing the game for good my PC started acting up with random freezes and then eventually random reboots.

So far I've ran all the scans suggested by Catbyte on the malware forums and he is confident that my PC is clean. I also just today reformatted my C Drive (I have 2 drives) and re-installed windows. About 3 hours after re-installing windows I put my computer on standby to eat dinner and when I came back and powered up my PC it went into a reboot cycle, it took me 6 tries to successfully boot my PC into windows.

Here is the link to my topic on the malware forums that Catbyte had been assisting me on:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…mp;#entry663806
I can't say for sure, but that sounds like a video card and\or temps issue, I suggest getting and running Speedfan and take notice of the temps, then tell us what they are for what item, also say what video card you are using, some can run hotter than others, once we have this info we can see what to try next.
Hi, sounds as if it could be a hardware issue with overheating…..when did you last clean out the machine and remove all the dust debris etc?
The lines on the screen are indicative of a a graphics problem, try a different monitor and a substitute graphics card and let us know how you go?
Regards
paws
EDIT…looks like you beat me to it again 8210GUY… :thumbup:
Hi again, I'm using a Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT. I had a video card burn out about 4 months ago but that was after 4 years of use. I'm including a SS of the Speedfan display, since aside from HD and GPU I don't know what the others correlate to. Also, ever since my windows reinstall and HD reformat, I am only having trouble booting up my PC. It goes into reboot cycles and windows fails to launch, on average it takes me about 6 tries to finally get windows to launch. From time to time I get a message that tells me a windows file is corrupted and to please reinstall, but everything is scrambled including this file name: Whndois rwot>osys\em3t\nt2skrol.ene Don't know if that makes sense to you guys. Thanks for the help so far *edit* I haven't had those little multi-colored lines show up since I stopped playing ME2, I don't have another monitor or graphics card though to try out :( Other games seem to run fine, I uninstalled ME2 (thinking it might be the source of the problem) but I'll try another graphics intensive game today and see how it does.

Attachments:

The temps seem OK going by that, temp 3 is often related to a missing sensor (it has more readings than most systems can supply), so is probably OK too ignore, at least with the info so far, it isn't unusual for it too get readings wrong, so they need to be checked when in doubt, can you try going into you're BIOS and checking out the system health report, see if that shows a comparable figure, then just exit without saving and you will change nothing.

When was the last time you cleared out the dust bunnies ?
may be worth a go if it's a while back, but currently my attention is turned to you're ram and\or PSU, the message you're getting makes me suspect corruption is creeping in, do you have a PSU tester ? or a spare to swap in for testing ?
Apart from that it may be worth getting a utility too test the ram, best to check 1 stack at a time, see if this reports any errors on any of the sticks, but if this reports no errors it would be handy if you can acquire a PSU tester (assuming you don't have one), or see if you know someone who can lend you one, see if any of this helps show up any problems.
I was the one who sent jshelton to the Malware section to be sure he was freed from infections and was following Catbytes post of possible fixes. After seeing this did not do good was supecting hardware.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=112806

From time to time I get a message that tells me a windows file is corrupted and to please reinstall, but everything is scrambled including this file name:

Whndois rwot>osys\em3t\nt2skrol.ene

I can recall a while back when Doug was helping me with a problem with weird text like he was getting and what not and, just out of a hunch I went and install a differant Video card and all those weird text went away and so did my problems.

Yes best to check for heat related problems first, and Video next, if not then would be ram, Hd and last possiable MB.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI