This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Problem With Cd-drive (f:) Not Reading Any Cds!

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Since I have a problem with the shutdown/logout part of the computer and the computer has been running for 2 years I thought it was time to reformat it. BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM! My CD-drive isn't working which probably will refuse to install Windows when I try to reinstall it. I have a AOpen COM5232/AAH PRO. When I insert a disk the driver make that typicall "reading a CD" sound but after that, nothing. ;/ And I can't find any updates for my driver (help?). Any suggestions/tips are welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance. ;)
the CD-ROM component of AOpen COM5232/AAH PRO runs with the generic XP Optical Drivers, therefore you don't have to install specific drivers for the CD-ROM portion.

Is the unit detected in your My Computer / Windows Explorer as a removable media drive?
If not, Is it recognized in your BIOS?

To use it as a CD/RW or DVD-ROM you need additional Drivers.

Go to your Device Manager - Optical Drive (CD-ROM) is a driver installed?
Is there a yellow or red warning?

You can safely Remove the Driver for the CD-ROM device and Reboot so that XP can "Find new Hardware" and "install Driver for new Hardware" <– if that doesn't work, and you're sure the connections are well seated, you may need to pick up a cheap CD-ROM at http://www.newegg.com (under $20) or stop by a local Big Box type store and get an inexpensive CD-ROM.
(or you may want to get a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo unit (in the mid-$30 range) so you can backup any important documents, files, email, etc. prior to continuing with your plans)

Will you please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, so I can have a look at the overall performance of that machine.
Sorry the "suggested fixes" didn't help in your other post.
The PCPitstop Full Test may give us some clues.

http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow the Full Tests to Run on your machine.
Post the TechExpress Link to your Results back here into this thread.

Best Regards

the CD-ROM component of AOpen COM5232/AAH PRO runs with the generic XP Optical Drivers, therefore you don't have to install specific drivers for the CD-ROM portion.

Is the unit detected in your My Computer / Windows Explorer as a removable media drive?

Yes

If not, Is it recognized in your BIOS?

Where in the BIOS should I look? I don't wanna mess up in there.

To use it as a CD/RW or DVD-ROM you need additional Drivers.

Where can I get them?

Go to your Device Manager - Optical Drive (CD-ROM) is a driver installed?

Yes

Is there a yellow or red warning?

No


You can safely Remove the Driver for the CD-ROM device and Reboot so that XP can "Find new Hardware" and "install Driver for new Hardware" <– if that doesn't work, and you're sure the connections are well seated, you may need to pick up a cheap CD-ROM at http://www.newegg.com (under $20) or stop by a local Big Box type store and get an inexpensive CD-ROM.
(or you may want to get a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo unit (in the mid-$30 range) so you can backup any important documents, files, email, etc. prior to continuing with your plans)

How do I do that?

Will you please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, so I can have a look at the overall performance of that machine.
Sorry the "suggested fixes" didn't help in your other post.
The PCPitstop Full Test may give us some clues.

http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow the Full Tests to Run on your machine.
Post the TechExpress Link to your Results back here into this thread.

Here we go (I don't know how to post a link); http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6351/untitled1dg1.jpg
If you must have a link just let me know + how to do it. ;p


Best Regards

CD-RW software is proprietary and most often comes under the brand names of: Nero and/or Roxio / Easy CD Recording or CloneCD DVD software is proprietary and most often comes under the brand names of: PowerDVD and others I can't think of right now. Not really of any concern for your present dilemma There are a ton of freebie softwares, but I am not confident nor experienced with any of them. If you own either of CD-RW softwares, you could give a try of installing them to see if you can restore the functionality of your CD Writing. Unhappily, both Nero and Roxio installation files come packaged on an Installation CD, so if your CD unit is not recognizing CDs, that option is not available. __________ You might be able to go to the AOpen COM5232/AAH PRO manufacturer's site to download software, but I am not optimistic. You would probably need the serial number of your CD-RW/DVD unit, which you can find via use of Belarc Advisor or Everest (both free softwares) _______ Simplest solution here seems to point to borrowing a known good CD-ROM unit or buying a cheap unit to complete your fix. Wish I had better/more suggestions. Best Regards
I've got Nero and PowerDVD installed and I'm not sure if I should re/un-install them - I want to be able to get them back after uninstalling. ;( There's also no downloads for my driver on AOpen's website. Thanks for the help so far. ;D

I've got Nero and PowerDVD installed and I'm not sure if I should re/un-install them - I want to be able to get them back after uninstalling


Unless you have the CD for each of those (nero and PowerDVD) you will not be able to reinstall.

Recommend that you inspect the wiring connection to be sure the IDE ribbon is firmly seated in that CD unit.

Next, I'd try installing the unit into another known-good machine to see if the unit is good or not in that known-good machine.

Next, I'd try an el-cheapo CD-ROM or replace with a new CD-RW/DVD for a few dollars more.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI