This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved]Help Urgently Requested With Sick System

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

lets try something.

Make sure you unplug your internet connection before doing this:

click Start> Run> type in Msconfig tap enter key.
look in the Startup. Make note of the ones that have check marks.
Uncheck everything and reboot. See how it does like that. If everything works, you can recheck them one at a time and maybe find out which one is causing the problem.

NOTE: Make sure you have your anti-virus and whatever anti-spyware checked to run before plugging your internet connection back in.
Thanks, LD. Is this in case I can't find the SP2 CD, or instead of? In any case, I'll try my best to get something done tonight. If not, I'll be back here tomorrow. Thanks again.

Thanks, LD. Is this in case I can't find the SP2 CD, or instead of?

In any case, I'll try my best to get something done tonight.

If not, I'll be back here tomorrow.

Thanks again.

You can try that and if you find the problem, you won't need to look for CD.

I'll be headed to bed in 1/2 hr. So we can work on it tomorrow.
LD, here are today's developments.

I haven't had time to look for the SP2 CD today, so I was going to try turning off all of the startup items to find the troublemaker.

But before I do that: take a look at the opening window of Msconfig:

[external image: Posted Image]

Shouldn't Normal Startup be selected? Could this have been the problem all along?

With Selective Startup selected, and Load Startup Items grayed out, are the startup items even loading?

Waiting to hear from you. And, as always, thanks.

[1] Just FYI, here's a screenshot of my startup items:

[external image: Posted Image]

[2] Also FYI, I think I figured out why System Restore stopped working. This is from the Windows Help and Support Center:

[external image: Posted Image]
LD,

First and most important: should I change the Startup Selection to Normal Startup and try rebooting that way? Or should I be doing something else?

*****

To answer your other questions:

What you see is all startup items. I took two screenshots and pasted them together [window can't be resized].

I've researched the startup items; info is below. I don't see anything I don't recognize.

Note ccapp, which is Norton's startup file. Norton is one of the applications that still loads and works normally.

*****

sgtray – Process name: Sonic Update Manager [factory-installed DVD program]

PCMService
– part of the Dell Media Experience software

opware32
– an application from ScanSoft OmniPage which allows scanning of documents into the Microsoft Office suite

DVDLauncher – Process name: CyberLink PowerCinema Resident Program [DVD player]

tfswctrl – Drive letter access component for HP and Sonic Solutions

point32 – part of the Microsoft Intellimouse console

Log_MwX – Logitech mouse launcher application

OneTouch – Maxtor UBS external disk drive

MXOALDR – application which is initiated during install of Maxtor drivers

hpcmpmgr – HP component manager

igfxtray – allows access to the Intel Graphics configuration and diagnostic application for the Intel 810 series graphics chipset

hkcmd – nstalled alongside Intel multimedia devices and allows configuration and diagnostic options for these devices

igfxpers – process information for Intel Common User Interface Module

ccapp is a process belonging to Norton AntiVirus. It is responsible for the auto-protect and email checking facilities, both of which will not function correctly if this service is stopped

iTunesHelper – process belonging to Itunes MP3 streaming tool by Apple, which allows you to play MP3's

jusched – a process installed alongside Sun Microsystem's Java suite and checks for Java updates

ctfmon – activates the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office Language Bar

Digital Line Detect – pre-installed by Dell and other computer vendors. It runs itself at Windows startup, resides in system memory and detects when you plug or unplug digital telephone line. It also shows the status of connection graphically

hpcmpmgr – main process belonging to the HP Component Manager. [Notorious for causing shutdown problems; I turned it off months ago]

*****

As always, thanks for your time and expertise.

piper

At this point I'd try to locate a windows sp2 CD and run that fix I posted. Borrow one if you need to.


I'll resume the hunt, then, and let you know what happens.
Problem solved, but now how you'd expect…

LD, while I was looking for the SP2 CD, I found a printout of a 2006 Symantec support doc[1] that explained how Norton AntiVirus can block System Restore from working and how to temporarily disable the Resource Protection mechanism that does the blocking.

I blocked, turned back the clock to the day before I installed IE 7.0, and my system is now working normally.

I'm sorry I wasted so much of your time and patience on this problem, but I'm grateful to you because if you hadn't sent me on a hunt for the CD, I might never have stumbled across the Norton info.

I'm now off to run a week's worth of virus and malware checks.

Thank you many, many times. May good things come to you and yours. [external image: Posted Image]

piper

[1] It pays to be a pack-rat; paper rules when memory fails!
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI