This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved]Help Urgently Requested With Sick System

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

EDIT

[1] I installed the Weather Channel toolbar yesterday and it was such a nuisance, I uninstalled it within hours. Malware scans picked up the following last night. I deleted the Weather Channel folder and quarantined the other two.

–program files\the Weather Channel fw

–MARAVEL Screensaver

–c:\Windows\ncuninst.exe

[2] Norton is scheduled to run a full system scan weekly on Fridays at 4:00 AM. I'm canceling the scan to avoid adding any more variables.

Sorry if this is too much info, or the wrong info. I'm a bit rattled; it's been a long time since I've had a system as messed up as this.

/EDIT


I'm one of those belt-and-suspenders users who scans for malware and virii with at least 3 programs, at least once a week. Last night, my luck ran out.

Escalating problems and user stupidity:

– system was running slowly with frequent freezes. I assumed warring malware programs [Norton, AVG, AdAware, A-Squared were all running in real time

– tried turning off one or more of them, didn't help, so I tried System Restore. SR no longer works– it goes through the motions then gives me an error message that SR could not be completed. Tried multiple restore points, all failed. Some– but not all– show a pop-up saying that disk F will not be restored since it was either not included when SR was set or has been removed. disk F is a USB HD that I only turn on when backing up my files.

– here's where real stupidity started. I read on the AdAware site forum that even if you don't use IE as your defauly browser, you should have the most current version installed. So, like a dummy, I upgraded to IE 7.0 BEFORE trying to resolve the SR problem, with the vague idea that it would help.

Big mistake. Big mess.

Now almost nothing is working right. One IE error message after another. One IE soft reboot after another. Can't open Control Panel to uninstall IE 7.0. Can't open My Documents folder. Can't open other folders. Erratic ability to launch programs or access files from within applications. Error messages tell me I'm offline when I'm not.

Example, here's the error message I get when I try to open the Control Panel:

[external image: Posted Image]

What the heck did I do?

I ran all of my usual malware/virus scans earlier Thurs. evening and found only two traces and a tracking cookie.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm afraid to try anything else for fear of making this mess even worse.

Here is the HJT log, pulled 45 minutes ago.

Thanks in advance for your help.

***

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:34:54 AM, on 8/10/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\a-squared Anti-Malware\a2service.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MICROSOFTBCM\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Melissa\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX01.453\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://www.earthlink.net/partner/more/msie…ton/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.earthlink.net/partner/more/msie…ton/search.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://agonist.org/newswire
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: EarthLink Popup Blocker - {4B5F2E08-6F39-479a-B547-B2026E4C7EDF} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\PnEL.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: TwcToolbarBhoApp Class - {AA1F9DDB-E605-4ba6-81D4-E427DEE012AD} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TwcToolbarBho.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Pop-Up Blocker - {D7F30B62-8269-41AF-9539-B2697FA7D77E} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\PnEL.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: The Weather Channel Toolbar - {2E5E800E-6AC0-411E-940A-369530A35E43} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TwcToolbarIe7.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Omnipage] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MaxtorOneTouch] C:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MXO Auto Loader] C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: The Weather Channel - {2E5E800E-6AC0-411E-940A-369530A35E43} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: The Weather Channel - {2E5E800E-6AC0-411E-940A-369530A35E43} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - {d81ca86b-ef63-42af-bee3-4502d9a03c2d} - http://wwws.musicmatch.com/mmz/openWebRadio.html (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {3451DEDE-631F-421C-8127-FD793AFC6CC8} - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as…rl/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {44990200-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} (Symantec SmartIssue) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as…trl/tgctlsi.cab
O16 - DPF: {44990301-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} (Symantec Script Runner Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as…trl/tgctlsr.cab
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/wl/activex/EP…l_v1-0-3-18.cab
O16 - DPF: {4E888414-DB8F-11D1-9CD9-00C04F98436A} (Microsoft.WinRep) - https://webresponse.one.microsoft.com/oas/ActiveX/winrep.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1146176717218
O16 - DPF: {94B82441-A413-4E43-8422-D49930E69764} (TLIEFlashObj Class) - https://webchat.dell.com/Media/VisitorChat/TLIEFlash.CAB
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{8E5F5449-D6D3-4347-91AC-EE827A6EB297}: NameServer = 207.69.188.187 207.69.188.186
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: a-squared Anti-Malware Service (a2AntiMalware) - Emsi Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\a-squared Anti-Malware\a2service.exe
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Internet Security Password Validation (ccISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PifEng.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
Hello and welcome to the forums

I'm not seeing anything bad, but lets see if we find anything.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner»

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.


(If you use FireFox or the Opera browser
To keep saved passwords, click No at the prompt.)

It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time.

Next:

Download ComboFix from Here to your Desktop.
  • Double click combofix.exe and follow the prompts.
  • When finished, it shall produce a log for you, combofix.txt. Post that log and a HiJackthis log in your next reply
Note: Do not mouseclick while its running. That may cause it to stall
Thanks, LDTate, for taking the time to help me.

Don't know if it matters, but the "save" buttons in the download windows for both programs were grayed out. They both loaded when I double-clicked the grayed-out buttons, however. I did not reboot between running the two programs– hope I wasn't supposed to do so. Finally, I didn't get a prompt in ATF Cleaner to save passwords for Firefox, and they appear to have been preserved.

Here are the logs.

xxxx

ComboFix 07-08-09.3 - "Melissa" 2007-08-13 22:56:38.1 - NTFSx86
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600.2.1252.1.1033.18.484 [GMT -4:00]
* Created a new restore point


((((((((((((((((((((((((( Files Created from 2007-07-14 to 2007-08-14 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))


2007-08-13 22:56 51,200 –a—— C:\WINDOWS\nircmd.exe
2007-08-09 12:22 73,728 –a—— C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TwcToolbarBho.dll
2007-08-09 12:22 262,144 –a—— C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TwcToolbarIe7.dll
2007-08-09 12:22 25,600 –a—— C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TwcToolInstDll.dll
2007-08-02 17:31 8,093,696 –a—— C:\DOCUME~1\Melissa\ntuser.dat
2007-08-02 17:31 d——– C:\Program Files\Google
2007-07-20 10:18 d——– C:\Program Files\a-squared Anti-Malware
2007-07-13 10:24 d——– C:\Program Files\VML


(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Find3M Report ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

2007-08-13 14:32 16 –a—— C:\WINDOWS\popcinfo.dat
2007-08-11 12:57 ——— d——– C:\DOCUME~1\Melissa\APPLIC~1\Canon
2007-08-10 00:41 ——— d——– C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared
2007-08-09 21:22 ——— d——– C:\Program Files\SpywareBlaster
2007-08-09 03:33 ——— d——– C:\Program Files\Bejeweled 2 Deluxe
2007-08-09 02:09 ——— d——– C:\DOCUME~1\Melissa\APPLIC~1\uTorrent
2007-08-03 10:21 ——— d——– C:\DOCUME~1\Melissa\APPLIC~1\AdobeUM
2007-07-24 13:29 6677 –a—— C:\WINDOWS\mozver.dat
2007-07-20 10:15 ——— d——– C:\Program Files\a-squared Free
2007-07-16 20:03 ——— d——– C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security
2007-07-06 09:25 ——— d——– C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real
2007-07-04 12:35 720896 –a—— C:\WINDOWS\iun6002ev.exe
2007-06-30 18:38 ——— d——– C:\Program Files\Lavasoft
2007-06-30 18:38 ——— d——– C:\Program Files\Common Files\Wise Installation Wizard
2007-05-31 02:45 524288 –a—— C:\WINDOWS\system32\DivXsm.exe
2007-05-31 02:44 823296 –a—— C:\WINDOWS\system32\divx_xx0c.dll
2007-05-31 02:44 823296 –a—— C:\WINDOWS\system32\divx_xx07.dll
2007-05-31 02:44 802816 –a—— C:\WINDOWS\system32\divx_xx11.dll
2007-05-31 02:44 740442 –a—— C:\WINDOWS\system32\DivX.dll
2007-05-16 11:12 86528 ——— C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\directdb.dll
2007-05-16 11:12 85504 ——— C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\wabimp.dll
2007-05-16 11:12 683520 –a—— C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcomm.dll
2007-05-16 11:12 683520 ——— C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\inetcomm.dll
2007-05-16 11:12 510976 ——— C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\wab32.dll
2007-05-16 11:12 1314816 ——— C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\msoe.dll


((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Reg Loading Points ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))


*Note* empty entries & legit default entries are not shown

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"UpdateManager"="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" [2003-08-19 02:01]
"PCMService"="C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe" [2004-04-11 21:15]
"Omnipage"="C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe" [2002-02-20 21:01]
"mmtask"="c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe" [2004-04-19 15:45]
"DVDLauncher"="C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe" [2004-04-11 12:43]
"dla"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe" [2004-03-15 02:04]
"IntelliPoint"="C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe" [2004-06-03 01:50]
"Logitech Utility"="Logi_MwX.Exe" [2003-11-07 05:50 C:\WINDOWS\LOGI_MWX.EXE]
"MaxtorOneTouch"="C:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe" [2003-05-21 16:30]
"MXO Auto Loader"="C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE" [2003-04-07 19:09]
"HP Component Manager"="C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe" [2003-12-22 09:38]
"igfxtray"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe" [2005-09-20 09:35]
"igfxhkcmd"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe" [2005-09-20 09:32]
"igfxpers"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe" [2005-09-20 09:36]
"ccApp"="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe" [2007-01-22 23:19]
"QuickTime Task"="C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" [2006-10-25 19:58]
"iTunesHelper"="C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe" [2006-10-30 10:36]
"SunJavaUpdateSched"="C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe" [2007-07-12 04:00]
"Symantec PIF AlertEng"="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" [2007-03-12 18:30]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"ctfmon.exe"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe" [2004-08-04 00:56]

C:\Documents and Settings\Melissa\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
DESKTOP.INI [2002-09-03 10:00:00]

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
Acrobat Assistant.lnk - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe [2003-10-24 00:37:56]
DESKTOP.INI [2002-09-03 10:00:00]
Digital Line Detect.lnk - C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe [2004-07-10 10:02:42]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\HP Component Manager]
"C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"

R3 MxlW2k;MxlW2k;C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\MxlW2k.sys
S2 USBAtapi2000;USB-IDE Bridge;C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\sci1pl.sys
S3 MXOFX;USB Storage Adapter FX (MXO);C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\MXOFX.SYS
S3 PLSCSI;PLSCSI;C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\sci0pl.sys
S3 Point32;Microsoft IntelliPoint Filter Driver;C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\point32.sys
S3 SQLAgent$MICROSOFTBCM;SQLAgent$MICROSOFTBCM;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MICROSOFTBCM\Binn\sqlagent.EXE -i MICROSOFTBCM

*Newly Created Service* - COMHOST

Contents of the 'Scheduled Tasks' folder
2007-08-10 07:04:57 C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\Norton AntiVirus - Run Full System Scan - Melissa.job - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\Navw32.exe
2007-08-10 07:01:43 C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\Norton AntiVirus - Run Norton QuickScan - Melissa.job - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NAVW32.EXE

**************************************************************************

catchme 0.3.1061 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2007-08-13 22:59:52
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 NTFS

scanning hidden processes …

scanning hidden registry entries …

scanning hidden files …

**************************************************************************

Completion time: 2007-08-13 23:01:18

— E O F —

xxxxx

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:03:37 PM, on 8/13/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16473)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\a-squared Anti-Malware\a2service.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MICROSOFTBCM\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WISPTIS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Melissa\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://www.earthlink.net/partner/more/msie…ton/search.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://agonist.org/newswire
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: EarthLink Popup Blocker - {4B5F2E08-6F39-479a-B547-B2026E4C7EDF} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\PnEL.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: TwcToolbarBhoApp Class - {AA1F9DDB-E605-4ba6-81D4-E427DEE012AD} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TwcToolbarBho.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Pop-Up Blocker - {D7F30B62-8269-41AF-9539-B2697FA7D77E} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\PnEL.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: The Weather Channel Toolbar - {2E5E800E-6AC0-411E-940A-369530A35E43} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TwcToolbarIe7.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Omnipage] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MaxtorOneTouch] C:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MXO Auto Loader] C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: The Weather Channel - {2E5E800E-6AC0-411E-940A-369530A35E43} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: The Weather Channel - {2E5E800E-6AC0-411E-940A-369530A35E43} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - {d81ca86b-ef63-42af-bee3-4502d9a03c2d} - http://wwws.musicmatch.com/mmz/openWebRadio.html (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {3451DEDE-631F-421C-8127-FD793AFC6CC8} - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as…rl/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {44990200-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} (Symantec SmartIssue) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as…trl/tgctlsi.cab
O16 - DPF: {44990301-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} (Symantec Script Runner Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as…trl/tgctlsr.cab
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/wl/activex/EP…l_v1-0-3-18.cab
O16 - DPF: {4E888414-DB8F-11D1-9CD9-00C04F98436A} (Microsoft.WinRep) - https://webresponse.one.microsoft.com/oas/ActiveX/winrep.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1146176717218
O16 - DPF: {94B82441-A413-4E43-8422-D49930E69764} (TLIEFlashObj Class) - https://webchat.dell.com/Media/VisitorChat/TLIEFlash.CAB
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: a-squared Anti-Malware Service (a2AntiMalware) - Emsi Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\a-squared Anti-Malware\a2service.exe
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Internet Security Password Validation (ccISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PifEng.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
Run hijackthis. Hit None of the above, Click Do a System Scan Only. Put a Check in the box on the left side on these:

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
O2 - BHO: TwcToolbarBhoApp Class - {AA1F9DDB-E605-4ba6-81D4-E427DEE012AD} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TwcToolbarBho.dll
O3 - Toolbar: The Weather Channel Toolbar - {2E5E800E-6AC0-411E-940A-369530A35E43} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TwcToolbarIe7.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exeO9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: The Weather Channel - {2E5E800E-6AC0-411E-940A-369530A35E43} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - {d81ca86b-ef63-42af-bee3-4502d9a03c2d} - http://wwws.musicmatch.com/mmz/openWebRadio.html (file missing)
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab

Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"

Delete these Files if listed:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TwcToolbarBho.dll
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TwcToolbarIe7.dll


Reboot and "copy/paste" a new HijackThis log file into this thread.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
LDTate, before I do this, a [probably stupid] question: When you say "Close ALL windows and browsers"… Should I close down all running processes [i.e., Norton]? Should I close down IE, if that's possible? Or do you mean open windows only? Thanks.
I followed the procedure you outlined in your earlier post, with one exception: I did not delete TwcToolbar files from the System32 folder because I have no way of getting there directly. I can open a program such as MS Word and look at the C drive that way, where I can see these two files:

TwcToolbarIe7.dll
TwcToolInstDll.dll

I wasn't sure whether I should delete them through Word, so I left them alone.

Because I am very paranoid, I set a restore point before I clicked "fixed checked" in HJT and rebooted. Good thing I did, because although the system seemed to reboot normally, I could not do anything at all. Nothing worked. No matter what I tried to launch or open, there was no response– not even error messages– except when I tried to open the Control Panel, which made the entire screen quickly refreshed. I couldn't even get online.

I could not run HJT to get a new log.

I ran System Restore and although I got the same error message that SR did not work [see my first post], the system seems to be back to the point where it was before I tried today's fixes. That is: I can't open Control Panel or My Documents or My Computer without getting an IE failure message. I can open some programs, such as MS Word, and access files that way. I can't open other programs, such as Norton Live Update, at all. Running System Restore to get back to the pre-IE 7 state will not work because SR itself does not work properly.

I think we're down to this:

If you don't see any viruses, can you tell me either how to work around the System Restore problem—will it run in Safe mode? Or can I access Add/Delete Programs in Safe mode? In short, how can I get rid of IE 7.0? As far as I can tell, 99 percent of my problems started when I installed it, and I really want to get rid of it.

I realize I'm not in the right forum for this, and will be glad to start over in another forum. I just want to get this resolved– Windows is driving me nuts trying to get me to install security updates that I'm afraid to touch for fear of making everything worse, I can't use half my programs, and I haven't been able to run my virus or malware checks in almost a week.

As always, thank you for your time and expertise. My frustration is not with you but with the situation.
Restart your computer in Safe Mode. Press F8 after the Power-On Self Test (POST) is done. If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, try restarting and then pressing F8 several times after the POST screen. Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter. This can take several miniutes to load. Uninstall Internet Explorer 7 to return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP Click "Start," and then click "Control Panel." Click "Add or Remove Programs." Check "Show Updates" at the top of the dialog box. Scroll down the list and highlight the version of Internet Explorer 7 that you are running, and then click "Change/Remove."
Thank you. Sorry for the over-emotional tone of my last post.

Should I run HJT and post another log when I'm finished with the Safe Mode uninstall?

EDIT:

LDTate, I spoke too soon. The Control Panel won't open in Safe Mode, either. I get the same error message as in full mode: "IE 7 has encountered a problem and needs to shut down…"

Is it possible to run System Restore from Safe Mode? Can I make things worse if I try? As you know, SR wasn't working properly even before IE 7.

I'm officially scared now. What should I do next? I won't try anything else until I hear from you.

Thanks for your patience and expertise.
I'm afraid not. I have only: –the reinstallation CD that came with the computer. It says "Reinstallation CD / Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition / Including Service Pack 1a". –the SP2 CD that I ordered directly from Microsoft. I never bought a standalone copy of XP, for which I'm kicking myself now. I wasn't this trusting of Win98. EDIT: Would this possibly work in my case?

the SP2 CD that I ordered directly from Microsoft.

That might work. Try this:

You can use windows sfc (system file checker) You'd need your XP CD to make this work.
Click Start> Run> type sfc /scannow Note the space.
(Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

Of course, now I can't find the SP2 CD. I'll have to get back to you in a bit.

What do I do after I run sfc /scannow?

If some of the windows system files are messed up, which I think that's what's going on, it should fix those. You'll know when you reboot.
I still can't find the SP2 CD. I know I kept it; I just can't put my hands on it right now. As soon as I find it, I'll try the fix. Thanks again for your help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI