This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Viewing Power Point Attachments

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

After upgrading to a newer version of Power Point viewer, I cannot get any PPS file to play from a mail attachment. I must save the file to a folder then click on it and it plays. Any suggestions on why it will not just open when clicked on as a mail attachment.

After upgrading to a newer version of Power Point viewer, I cannot get any PPS file to play from a mail attachment. I must save the file to a folder then click on it and it plays. Any suggestions on why it will not just open when clicked on as a mail attachment.

Hi 'Biker-T',

That also happens to me when I receive an email with a PPS file attachment. I drag the file to the desktop and it opens immediately by right clicking and choosing "Show".

kind regards,
The PPS files are already linked to the PowerPoint program, that is how they open after being saved. That is why I am unsure why they will not just open when the attachment is clicked on. They used to open until the upgrade just by clicking the attachment.

Your "file associations" may still be calling for the prior utility.
Change it to your new utility via Windows Explorer.


Please Sir, how do you do that?

kind regards,
Open Windows Explorer/My Computer Select - Tools - Folder Options - File Types(tab) Scroll through the File Extensions (alphabettically arranged) for the Type you want to associate with your application utility. Use the onscreen functions "Change" if the item exists and is already associated with some other application. Use the onscreen function "New" if the item does not yet exist. Best Regards

Open Windows Explorer/My Computer

Select - Tools - Folder Options - File Types(tab)

Scroll through the File Extensions (alphabettically arranged) for the Type you want to associate with your application utility.

Use the onscreen functions "Change" if the item exists and is already associated with some other application.
Use the onscreen function "New" if the item does not yet exist.

Best Regards


Thanks Doug, great help.

Kind regards,
If I had not associated .pps files with the new program they would not open when moved to a folder or the desktop. There they open fine, so have to be associated with the proper program. BUT, when I click on them as an attachment I do get the error that there is no program associated with this type file. Weird, huh?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI