This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Must Disconnect/reconnect Router To Browse Internet

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 2:59:01 PM, on 8/2/2007 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16473) I am running XP Pro with a D-link wireless card in the USB port. It connects to a wireless router which is connected to Verizon's FIOS (803.11G with WEP). Two other machines also share this router (One with Vista , one with Windows 98) and connect fine. My XP connects to the router whenever I power it on. However the Browser (Either IE 7 or Firefox) will not connect to the internet. If I disconnect the router, then reconnect to it, both of them will work fine. Is there something obvious I am doing wrong? I can live with this but it is not ideal.
Sounds like the router has not assigned an IP for your XP machine. You may be able to get a good IP by doing the following: Start - Run - (type)cmd A DOS-like box will appear with a blinking cursor. At the blinking cursor type: ipconfig /release - enter < notice the required space before the "/" ipconfig /renew - enter < notice the required space before the "/" __________ What step did you take the first time you set up your XP machine to connect to your router with the proper WEP encryption code password?
I am not certain what steps I used in originally adding the D-Link card since I was trying to figure out what I was doing and also follow the instructions from D-Link and from Verizon as I went. I did now follow your instructions to release and renew the I.P. When I restarted the computer, it connected to the router and I was able to immediately access the internet through my browser. For the second time, I thank you very much indeed. You have been extremely helpful.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI