Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Home Page Being Reset

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shells

Shells

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:47 AM

Hi,
I have a weird problem - my home page is being reset, apparently by my router. Everytime I reboot my home page reverts to
http://www.microsoft...p...&ar=msnhome
but only when my PC is connected to my wireless router. No other PCs connected to this router have this problem.
This problem does not occur when my router is turned off and I am direct connected to the internet.
I have Netgear router, Cable modem, IBM laptop. I am looking for clues to investigate.
There are no apparent settings on the Netgrear router that would control this.

I have had a problem logged on the HiJack this forum, and they suggested I log problem here.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:49:31 AM, on 3/06/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Regards,
Shells.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:53 AM

Hi, This is very odd. However the home page that you are being sent to, is the standard Microsoft page and therefore is safe for you.
But if you really want to alter it, then a spot of Registry editing might be indicated.

If you are experienced at editing the Registry you will know that the first thing to do, before you do anything else is to back up your Registry. A useful tool for this , called ERUNT can be downloaded from here:
http://www.snapfiles.../get/erunt.html
Please read all the instructions especially how to put your old registry back to what it was! (print them out if necessary)

Once operating in the registry you are operating outside of the usual comfortable safe Windows environment where if you issue a certain command, Windows may suggest that it might not be a smart move to execute it, or will check back by saying "are you sure you want to..." etc Once in the registry if you issue a command, it will be executed instantly, without question, even if in so doing, it wrecks your system and renders it unbootable.

Now would also be a good time to set up a System Restore point and whilst you are taking all these safety precautions take an extra moment or two just to check that your back up/archive/copy of all important stuff, files, data, settings etc is 100% up to date, accurate and reproducible.
Now if you go here:
http://www.lockergno...-being-changed/
or here:
http://www.g4tv.com/...ge_Forever.html
you should be able to make the required registry changes.

If this is successful then your home page should remain fixed, but if you are still having problems post back here in this thread and we will advise on Plan B
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Shells

Shells

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:52 AM

Hello, I have tried to follow the instructions that you provided, however, the first problem I ran into was that I could not follow the precise instructions easily. I do not have the necessary fields in REGEDIT. The instructions at both the referenced websites are: 1. Click Start and click Run. 2. Type regedit.exe and click OK. 3. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer. 4. From the Edit menu, point to New, and click DWORD value. 5. Type in Homepage and press Enter. 6. Double click the new DWORD value. 7. Set to Value data to 1. 8. Click OK. 9. Close the Registry Editor. I can get as far as HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft but there is no Internet Explorer listed. I put it in, and then added DWORD and put in Homepage but still I have the problem. So I cannot be certain that I have followed the instructions correctly, but if I did, then it still isn't working. Another symptom of this problem is that the router does not need to be the internet connection for the problem to occur. If I am direct connected via the cable modem, and the home page is set correctly, and then I turn on the router and let it connect wirelessly to the laptop, the homepage will change, even though the laptop remains connected via cable modem. Should I mention that I am also having performance issues with my netgear router when it is connected to my cable modem. I am separately trying to resolve this. This issue appeared when my ISP changed its connection method. Not sure if this is relevant to my logged problem. Shells.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:39 AM

Hi, Ok, use the second of the two sites that I gave you in the previous post. here's the essence of it; Changes to the Registry are permanent. Back it up as explained in the previous post, along with everything else, and make sure you have a good System Restore Point, as well, or you'll be in a lot of trouble if something goes wrong! Navigate to this string: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel If the keys for Internet Explorer and Control Panel are not present, add them manually. Right-click the Microsoft key folder, click New, and choose Key. Name it Internet Explorer. Right-click the Internet Explorer key folder, click New, and choose Key. Name it Control Panel. Right-click the Control Panel key folder and choose "new DWORD value." Rename the value "Homepage." Right-click the Homepage value, choose Modify, and change the value from "0" to "1." See how you go, If this doesn't work then we will need to move to Plan C :D Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate