kangaroo
Topic Starter
For some time I have been experiencing a problem with Internet Explorer v6 (on a WinXPSP2 with most updates installed) where when I click on the icon in my Quick Launch Bar, the IE window does not open. At first I would try to click on the icon again and sometimes it took 3 or 4 clicks before an IE browser window opened. When I check Task Manager, I found that there would be the corresponding number of iexplore.exe processes with the failed attempts showing about 15K of memory usage and the successful attempt showing about 24K.
Now a friend has a similar problem with her Husqvarna Viking 3D and 4D Embroidery programs. She runs the program on both a Desktop and a Notebook, both with Windows XPSP2 and she applies all Windows updates automatically. She had installed the 3D version of the program in July 2004; the problem started happening intermittently in about June 2006. She hoped that when she upgraded to the 4D version of the program in June 2007 it would be solved but that is not so. A component of the program, DesignerSECommuni.exe (which allows communication via USB cable to her embroidery sewing machine) should run on starting Windows and place an icon in her System Tray. If the icon is missing, Task Manager shows memory usage for the program as about 5K on her Desktop (I didn't see the problem on her Notebook). If the icon appears normally, memory usage on her Notebook is 6,928K and on the Desktop is 9,184K.
We are wondering if this could be related to a Windows update but have no idea how to confirm this or identify the culprit.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve these problems of programs not completing their startup process?