I have a Compaq Presario SR2010NX computer that I got for Christmas of 2006. THE machine runs well, but, from what I have read about viruses, worms, and trojan horses, sometimes the danger is hidden, such as the stealing of personal information via keystroke spying.
I have had the free AVG antivirus program from my first day with the new computer. Three times, up to yesterday (7-12-07), the scan has found a "virus." Once, a worm was found and was put into the "virus vault;" once, 2 worms were found and were put in the virus vault; and yesterday, 4 trojan horses were found and were put in the virus vault.
Each time the above scenario occurred, I emptied the virus vault, thinking that I automatically was removing the offending malware from my computer. Today, a friend of mine who, like me, has limited knowledge of computers, told me that my actions may or may not have removed the malware. I looked at the history of my test results and learned that none of the 7 malwares had been "healed;" does that mean that I have accomplished nothing by emptying the virus vault and that the malware is still on my computer?
MY computer has shown no signs of a problem in the last 7 months and is not slower than it was when I set it up. I still am worried, though, that I may have some insidious malware that is hiding on my computer and which makes me vulnerable. I do have an online bank account and other personal information on the computer, and I shop online, so now I am beginning to worry about my safety. I also hate to think that I have damaged my almost new computer through my carelessness and stupidity.
THANKS for any help. I also hope that I chose the correct post/thread.
My name is Trevuren and I will be helping you with your problem.
The fact that you are not experiencing any problems is a good sign in itself. Usually, when items are removed from Quarantine, they are not left in the Recycle Bin. They are gone. For your own peace of mind, I will gladly check over your system for you. Just do the following:
Choose the default location of C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis as the destination. HJT needs to be in its own folder so that the program itself isn't deleted by accident. Having the backups could be VITAL to restoring your system if something went wrong in the FIX process!
Click the Install button.
Accept the license agreement .
Click Do a system scan and save a log file. A Notepad file will open.
Select all the text by hitting the [Ctrl+A] keys, then copy your selection to the clipboard by pressing the [Ctrl+C] keys.
Paste the log into this thread by hitting the [Ctrl+V] keys.
when you click Save Log) (Ctrl-A to'select all', Ctrl-C to 'copy')
POST the log into this thread using 'Add Reply' (Ctrl-V to 'paste')
DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR CLICK "FIX CHECKED" UNTIL WE CHECK THE LOG, AS MOST OF THE FILES ARE LEGIT AND VITAL TO THE FUNCTION OF YOUR COMPUTER
Here is the logfile. My computer is 991 mhz, 448 mb, 1.80 ghz, and 111 gb, if those numbers matter.
Theoretically, when I emptied the AVG virus vault, would the viruses have re-appeared in subsequent AVG scans if they were still on my computer? NONE of the viruses/worms/trojan horses ever appeared again, and I SCAN DAILY, so I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that they were gone forever. I have read, though, that malware can often change its appearance and be undetected but still quite dangerous. My performance is fine, but I probably would not know if someone is spying on me or stealing my info when shop online, I guess.
Most importantly, thanks! Oh, yes, I never created the recovery disks, if that is a problem. I never downloaded software from the internet, although I have updated Windows Media Player. Actually, I downloaded AVG, ADAware, ZoneAlarms firewall, and Spybot, but are those software?
**********************************************
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:08:52 PM, on 7/15/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16473)
Boot mode: Normal
Note:If you have used this particular scanner before, you MAY HAVE YO UNINSTALL the program through Add/Remove Programs before downloading the new ActiveX component
Next Click on Free Virus Scanner, then Kaspersky Online Scanner
You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
Now click on Scan Settings
In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
Standard
Scan Options:
Scan Archives
Scan Mail Bases
Click OK
Now under select a target to scan:Select My Computer
This will program will start and scan your system.
The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
Now click on the Save as Text button:
Save the file to your desktop.
Copy and paste that information into your next post.
Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the accept button of the licence, click on the Zoom tool located at the right bottom of the IE window and set the zoom to 75 %. Once the license accepted, reset to 100%.
HERE is the report. What do you think?
THANKS for your help. I have learned a lot–no, not how to emove a virus, but how to copy and paste!
——————————————————————————-
KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER REPORT
Sunday, July 15, 2007 6:03:10 PM
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 5.0.93.0
Kaspersky Anti-Virus database last update: 16/07/2007
Kaspersky Anti-Virus database records: 340166
——————————————————————————-
Scan Settings:
Scan using the following antivirus database: standard
Scan Archives: true
Scan Mail Bases: true
Scan Target - My Computer:
C:\
D:\
E:\
Scan Statistics:
Total number of scanned objects: 87579
Number of viruses found: 0
Number of infected objects: 0
Number of suspicious objects: 0
Duration of the scan process: 01:07:48
Infected Object Name / Virus Name / Last Action
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg7\Log\emc.log Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\avg7log.log Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\avg7log.log.lck Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\MSHist012007071520070716\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temp\hpodvd09.log Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temp\~DF1721.tmp Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temp\~DF1736.tmp Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\OQBLCTS2\336x850Balance[1].flv Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Y3YPEXO7\336x850Monitor[1].flv Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase Object is locked skipped
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{00EFF98B-5705-4D9A-BA78-7681A60AFB54}\RP116\change.log Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\Debug\PASSWD.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\fwdbglog.txt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\fwpktlog.txt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\IAMDB.RDB Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\PAULMICK.ldb Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\tvDebug.log Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\ModemLog_Data Fax SoftModem with SmartCP.txt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\SchedLgU.Txt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\tmp.edb Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Internet.evt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SecEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SysEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\h323log.txt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.BTR Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.MAP Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING.VER Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING1.MAP Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING2.MAP Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.DATA Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.MAP Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\ZLT0530b.TMP Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\ZLT0530f.TMP Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log Object is locked skipped
Scan process completed.
Your log looks good. If you have no more malware-related problems that you are aware of, just give me the OK and we can start the final but essential cleanup procedures and recommendations.
Congratulations, your log shows that your SYSTEM IS CLEAN
There are a few things you must do once you are completely clean:
1. Please downloadATF Cleanerby Atribune. This program is for XP and Windows 2000 onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button. If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button. NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt. If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button. NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.
2. Now Set a New Restore Pointto prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which sometimes can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.
The easiest and safest way to do this is:
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
Click "OK".
Click the "More Options" Tab.
Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:
Make sure you keep your Windows OS current by visiting Windows update
regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. With out these you are leaving the backdoor open.
I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
Spywareblaster<= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
Spywareguard<= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware<= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
How to use Spybot to remove Spyware<= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
To protect yourself further:
IE/Spyad<= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
MVPS Hosts file<= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
Google Toolbar<= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
And also see TonyKlein's good advice So how did I get infected in the first place?
Thanks again! I am glad, and very lucky, that my computer had a clean bill of health. I really appreciate what you did and I have followed through on your suggestions. My machine is absolutely clean now. I already had AdAware, Spybot, and Google Toolbar, but now I am even more secure.
Take care. Keep up the good work.