This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Problems With Raid 5

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello everyone. I'm having a problem and I can't find anything on these boards nor the internet to help me. I have a ICH7R RAID5 set up on my computer. I had some trouble with junk on my system, so I reformated my hard drives and reinstalled Windows XP Pro and navigated my way through getting the computer to see my RAID setup. When all was said and done, on the first screen at bootup all three disks were showing MEMBER in green, and the status was NORMAL in green. Now for the problem. After installing the latest drivers for a few things, I rebooted. Now the status is INITIALIZE in yellow, but all three disks are still MEMBER in green. The system seems to be running slower now, but that might be my imagination. I have searched for hours trying to get a bead on what happened, but I can't find anything that will help me. Can any of you gurus rescue me? How can I get status back to normal on bootup?
Hi dagiffy

here's a link to my favorite Experts when it comes to RAID Array configuration.

http://www.xcso.com/raid.htm

If you narrow it down to specific questions I may be able to help with additional research.
But I'm no RAID configuration pro at all :unsure:

Best Regards
Hey thanks for the timely reply. Well, I decided to reformat my hard drive, AGAIN, and reinstall Windows, AGAIN, and this time do a System Restore before I installed the next in a series of 5 or 6 drivers that Device Manager always shows a problem with on a fresh install, or at least it has for me the last three times in two days. Now that I have all the drivers installed and rebooted, the status shows Normal and all three disks show Member, which is how it was when I bought it. Come to think of it, while I was researching this problem, I read about chipsets and took someone's advice to someone else to download the latest chipset. I searched around and installed what I thought was the one for my system, and I think I may have installed the wrong one. Anyway, that's what I have NOT done this time and everything is ok. This is what happens when a newb formats a hard drive, sets up a RAID 5 configuration, and installs Windows…all for the very first time. This is the third time now and that must have been the charm. Thanks for helping!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI