This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't Access Windows Or Microsoft Update

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Yesterday (7/10/07) I accessed the Microsoft Update page in the morning to get the newest updates. Got a message that there were no new updates. So, I figured I was too early for the usual second Tuesday updates, and waited until last night to try. When I go to either the Windows Update page, or the Microsoft Update page, they do not load-they just freeeze, and I have to use Task Manager to remove them from my screen. Since I do not have Automatic Updates enabled, I attempted to access the Automatic Updates folder in Control Panel, and it will not load at all…nothing happens. So, guessed that maybe my IE6 needed a repair, and tried to access Add/Remove Programs…that page comes up, but will not populate, and, when I try to remove it from my screen with Task Manager, nothing shows up…have to reboot to clear it out. I am running Win2kPro. Have run scans on Spybot and Ad-Aware, and nothing shows up. Would appreciate any assistance you can offer…this is driving me nuts. Thanks so much.
Sounds like you may have selectively disabled some of your services related to auto-updates for instance Background Intelligent Transfer? Start - Run - (type)services.msc - Enter have a look at what is turned off. There's a bunch of stuff in that list, that you ought not to turn off, so be careful. Post back with any specific questions. Best Regards
Thanks for the reply, Doug. Here is what I found: Automatic Live Update Scheduler is on manual, Automatic Updates is on manual, Background Intelligent Transfer service is on manual, Live Update is on manual, and Windows Installer is on manual. Still trying to get to the Windows Update and Microsoft Update pages today, and still no luck. When I go to Control Panel and double-click on Automatic Updates, nothing happens. I right click on the icon and click on Open, and nothing happens. I can't even get into Add/Remove Programs…a window will come up, will not populate, and I have to reboot to get rid of that empty window…something amiss here, but I don't know what. Thanks again for your offering of assistance.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI