This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Automatic Updates not working

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

I have been helped by the guys at Spybot with a slow laptop and IE startup problem,

We got to the stage of trying to repair Automatic Updates via http://www.miscsoftware.com/windowsupdatefix.exe

Then running windows updates by opening IE and going to tools> windows updates, but it doesn't want to run i.e :-

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.


The security expert at Spybot recommended I post here as you may be able to help me get it going ?

Here is my spybot thread as it was suggested it would help show you where / what I've done so far :-
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=55814

Thanks
Hi boghog, welcome to WhatTheTech.

Download, unzip and run Dial-a-fix. Click on the double green checks to select all then click on GO. Wait for it to complete then reboot, see if that fixes the update problem.

If still problems, run Dial-a-fix again and click on the Fix Software Distribution button. Read the info in the window, then try Yes, see if that helps. If not run it again and click No (this will wipe out your Windows Update history so do this only after trying the other steps first).
Hello Ztruker Thanks for the quick reply, I have tried the download and for both hyper links I get the same message:- '' The compressed (zipped) folder is invalid or corrupt '' Anywhere else I can go or is this part of my problem ?!? Thanks
Hello Quick update, I got it to run by going in through the Dial-a-fix forum. Scan is running now I'll let you know how I get on :) Thanks
Hello Ztruker I have Download, unzip and run Dial-a-fix. I went all the way to …. '' If not run it again and click No (this will wipe out your Windows Update history so do this only after trying the other steps first).'' I then went back to running windows updates by opening IE and going to tools> windows updates, as advise by Ken545 at Spybot but it still doesn't want to run i.e :- The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. I think this is the cause of my start up / slow connection, any other help would be most welcome ?!? Thanks
Are you using IE8? If so,try uninstalling it from Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. You will have to check the Show updates box at the top to see it. When that completes you should be back to IE7 or IE6, whichever you had when IE8 was installed.

Try update again. If it works, IE8 should be one of the updates offered, so go ahead and install it and see if it still works after that.
Hello Ztruker Followed your instruction and I'm now back with IE7. I'm still getting the :-The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view When running the dial-a-fix programme I got the following messages:- Error - 2147024891 was encountered while trying to unregister C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll. The error test is: Access is denied. An error occurred during registration of the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll (version 7.2.6001.788). The next dialog will contain an error code and possible suggestions. Error 0x80070005: 'Access denied'. It is suggested that you run "Repair permissions" which is found in the Tools dialog. I haven't clicked on the Fix Software Distribution button (this time) or the repair permissions (mentioned above), I thought I would wait for your advice just in case !!! Thanks again
Sounds like an ownership problem. Please try logging on to the Administrator account in Safe mode then run Diqal-a-fix from there, see if it works.

Logon as Administrator in XP Home

If you have XP Pro, just log off then press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice (see above) and change the account name to Administrator, no password (unless you added one).
Hello Ztruker Same story I'm afraid, I logged on as the Administrator in Safe mode then ran Dial-a-fix, I got the 3 messages again. Am I right that I shouldn't be using the Fix Software Distribution button ? Thanks
Yes. Lets not delete it right now. What I'd like you to do is rename it instead to see if that makes any difference. If not then you can rename it back. If it does help then delete it.

Press Windows key + r (next to the left Ctrl key).
Enter %windir% and press Enter.
Scroll down to SoftwareDistribution and rename it to SoftwareDistribution-save

Try Windows Update. If it fails the same way, rename it back. If it works, leave it or delete it as a new SoftwareDistribution folder will have been created, though it will not have all the old history in it.
Hello Ztruker Renamed the file and ran windows updates (opening IE and going to tools> windows updates), The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.Error number: 0x8024D007 I have now deleted SoftwareDistribution-save as a new SoftwareDistribution file was created. Thanks
Rats, hoped that would help. Have you seen this? Sounds promising and is specific to the error you are getting. See if the offered Resolutions help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI