e-bore
Topic Starter
Hello,
I wonder whether someone might be able to help me, I've been having a few persistent problems with my laptop for the past couple of days.
System spex
First let me list some system specs:
Pentium M 1.73Ghz
Windows XP 2002 with SP2
Computer Associates eTrust Internet Suite
Affects on computer performance
The main problems I noticed were:
Firefox bookmarks vanished (but they still exist on the computer in the Firefox profile);
It's not possible to add or view any bookmarks in any way on Firefox;
Firefox browser tabs do not function properly: you get two tabs, and only the first one works; you can't close the other.
The problems occurred very soon after upgrading Firefox from 1.5 to 2.0 … I may have been hoodwinked by a fake firefox upgrade, I don't know.
I can use IE, but it's reverted it from IE7 to IE6… so no tabs.
It's noticeable that when you fill in forms (e.g.: logging into Gmail), the text suddenly changes size.
Naturally the browser speed is affected; the speed of the cursor in MS Word too.
When opening PDF links on the browser it often seizes up and crashes.
Scans
After running bitdefender free online scan I've repeatedly found instances of the "Dropped:Application.Adware.NewDotNet.A" virus, but am unable to find a solution for it.
On earlier runs of Bitdefender I also found and eventually fixed:
Trojan.Isbar.s
Generic:zlob (I can't remember the precise name, though I writ it down somewhere).
I've also run scans with:
Panda Activescan
A-Squared
SpyHunter
Trojan Hunter
AdAware
CrapCleaner
Windows Defender
Hijack This (still on the system - I uninstalled the rest apart from the CA eTrust Suite)
as well as my bundled CA eTrust Suite virus scan.
Only Bitdefender and A-Squared were any good really… the Panda and Adaware showed up some minor things, but failed to get to the nub of it.
Any help and advice would be gratefully appreciated.
I wonder whether someone might be able to help me, I've been having a few persistent problems with my laptop for the past couple of days.
System spex
First let me list some system specs:
Pentium M 1.73Ghz
Windows XP 2002 with SP2
Computer Associates eTrust Internet Suite
Affects on computer performance
The main problems I noticed were:
Firefox bookmarks vanished (but they still exist on the computer in the Firefox profile);
It's not possible to add or view any bookmarks in any way on Firefox;
Firefox browser tabs do not function properly: you get two tabs, and only the first one works; you can't close the other.
The problems occurred very soon after upgrading Firefox from 1.5 to 2.0 … I may have been hoodwinked by a fake firefox upgrade, I don't know.
I can use IE, but it's reverted it from IE7 to IE6… so no tabs.
It's noticeable that when you fill in forms (e.g.: logging into Gmail), the text suddenly changes size.
Naturally the browser speed is affected; the speed of the cursor in MS Word too.
When opening PDF links on the browser it often seizes up and crashes.
Scans
After running bitdefender free online scan I've repeatedly found instances of the "Dropped:Application.Adware.NewDotNet.A" virus, but am unable to find a solution for it.
On earlier runs of Bitdefender I also found and eventually fixed:
Trojan.Isbar.s
Generic:zlob (I can't remember the precise name, though I writ it down somewhere).
I've also run scans with:
Panda Activescan
A-Squared
SpyHunter
Trojan Hunter
AdAware
CrapCleaner
Windows Defender
Hijack This (still on the system - I uninstalled the rest apart from the CA eTrust Suite)
as well as my bundled CA eTrust Suite virus scan.
Only Bitdefender and A-Squared were any good really… the Panda and Adaware showed up some minor things, but failed to get to the nub of it.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 17:35:30, on 2007.07.04
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\a-squared Free\a2service.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
c:\APPS\Powercinema\Kernel\TV\CLCapSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\CLML_NTService\CLMLServer.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\CLML_NTService\CLMLService.exe
C:\Program Files\Olympus\DeviceDetector\DM1Service.exe
c:\APPS\HIDSERVICE\HIDSERVICE.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
c:\APPS\Powercinema\Kernel\TV\CLSched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Apps\Powercinema\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\EPSON\Creativity Suite\Event Manager\EEventManager.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\caissdt.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware\PPActiveDetection.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust Anti-Spam\QSP-4.0.380.0\QOELoader.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust Personal Firewall\ca.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Voyager 105 ADSL Modem\dslstat.exe
C:\Program Files\Voyager 105 ADSL Modem\dslagent.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.6\THGuard.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Olympus\DeviceDetector\DevDtct2.exe
C:\Program Files\WordWeb\wweb32.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Jac\Desktop\HijackThis.exe
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: txthlpBHO Class - {060235DC-6D84-47BD-95D7-A4EF5099A59D} - C:\PROGRA~1\TEXTHE~1\READAN~1\TE3219~1.DLL
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Windows Live Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] HDAShCut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AzMixerSel] C:\Program Files\Realtek\InstallShield\AzMixerSel.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "c:\Apps\Powercinema\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EEventManager] C:\Program Files\EPSON\Creativity Suite\Event Manager\EEventManager.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaISSDT] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\caissdt.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eTrustPPAP] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware\PPActiveDetection.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QOELOADER] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust Anti-Spam\QSP-4.0.380.0\QOELoader.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust Personal Firewall\ca.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DSLSTATEXE] C:\Program Files\Voyager 105 ADSL Modem\dslstat.exe icon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DSLAGENTEXE] C:\Program Files\Voyager 105 ADSL Modem\dslagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.6\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - Startup: WordWeb.lnk = C:\Program Files\WordWeb\wweb32.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Continue Setup.lnk = D:\Installers\setup.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Device Detector 2.lnk = C:\Program Files\Olympus\DeviceDetector\DevDtct2.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Windows Live Search - res://C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll/search.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open in new background tab - res://C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\Components\en-gb\msntabres.dll.mui/229?705730ea49a84f8b95c4d17da6a13830
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open in new foreground tab - res://C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\Components\en-gb\msntabres.dll.mui/230?705730ea49a84f8b95c4d17da6a13830
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\npjpi142_05.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\npjpi142_05.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {05CA9FB0-3E3E-4B36-BF41-0E3A5CAA8CD8} (Office Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=58813
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecall/applet/html/native/x86/win32/activex/hcImpl.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1159949087452
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1159949299061
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www.ca.com/gb/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{D0D82E07-9576-42BC-9323-C42A62D4BD52}: NameServer = 212.159.6.9 212.159.6.10
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: a-squared Free Service (a2free) - Emsi Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\a-squared Free\a2service.exe
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink Background Capture Service (CBCS) (CLCapSvc) - Unknown owner - c:\APPS\Powercinema\Kernel\TV\CLCapSvc.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink Task Scheduler (CTS) (CLSched) - Unknown owner - c:\APPS\Powercinema\Kernel\TV\CLSched.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink Media Library Service - Cyberlink - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\CLML_NTService\CLMLServer.exe
O23 - Service: DM1Service - OLYMPUS Corporation - C:\Program Files\Olympus\DeviceDetector\DM1Service.exe
O23 - Service: Generic Service for HID Keyboard Input Collections (GenericHidService) - Unknown owner - c:\APPS\HIDSERVICE\HIDSERVICE.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
Any help and advice would be gratefully appreciated.