This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Please Help Me Decide What To Erase.

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ok, I have an old DELL dimension that I have managed to infect with a resistant bug(S). I have downloaded and run ad-adware multiple times until I seemingly deleted everything it had found. I have also run the free version of CounterSpy like I had done previously with AD-ADware until I had located and "seemingly" irradicated everything found but, whenever I get back on the internet I get a host of pop-ups and redirects which at times can force me to shut down my computer. I once again run another search for malware and once again find carp** I have to delete. Please Help!



Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:34:50 AM, on 7/5/2007
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\phrptsmi.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\SBCSSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\SBCSTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Erin\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX00.500\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/home.html
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar4.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [cjjwztzA] C:\WINDOWS\cjjwztzA.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Salestart] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\WinAntiVirus Pro 2007\mav_startupmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBCSTray] C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\SBCSTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GPLv3] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\System32\eignnbha.dll",realset
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [IpWins] C:\Program Files\Ipwindows\ipwins.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [A00F33CDB.exe] C:\DOCUME~1\Erin\LOCALS~1\Temp\_A00F33CDB.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [A00F33CEB.exe] C:\DOCUME~1\Erin\LOCALS~1\Temp\_A00F33CEB.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O16 - DPF: {406B5949-7190-4245-91A9-30A17DE16AD0} (Snapfish Activia) - http://www.snapfish.com/SnapfishActivia.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by101fd.bay101.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/285cd4a997aa5b…ip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (MSN Games - Installer) - http://cdn2.zone.msn.com/binFramework/v10/…ro.cab56649.cab
O16 - DPF: {DD8C9372-35FD-4F7D-8CE4-909ABCFAB2C5} - ms-its:mhtml:file://c:\\nores.mht!http://adxtend.net/code/chm/xpre.chm::/xpreload.ocx
O16 - DPF: {E856B973-45FD-4559-8F82-EAB539144667} (Dell PC Checkup Installer Control) - http://pccheckup.dellfix.com/rel/41/install/gtdownde.cab
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: DomainService - - C:\WINDOWS\System32\phrptsmi.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: Net Agent - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\dls0523pmw.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Sunbelt CounterSpy Antispyware (SBCSSvc) - Sunbelt Software - C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\SBCSSvc.exe
Hello,

I want you to perform some things first, because it doesn't make any sense that we try to clean up your system if nothing is preventing your system from malware being installed again.

I see no antivirus and firewall installed on your system, and I also see that your windows isn't up to date. :(

You don't have even ServicePack1 installed! Remember that your system is extremely vulnerable without the necessary security patches/updates, so malware can get installed automatically while surfing without any problems… and that is the reason why you are now infected, because, when your windows was up to date, the securitypatches could prevent this.

So, what I want you to do right now is, please update your windows to SP1.
We'll get SP2 later when your system is clean again… so DON'T install SP2, only install SP1.
Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ to update.

REBOOT afterwards.

When done, install an antivirus and firewall.

Avira, AVG OR Avast OR Active Virus Shield (uncheck the Security Toolbar during install)
Never install more than one antivirusscanner or firewall on your system! Several together can give problems and decreases the reliability of it seriously!
Agnitum Outpost Free, ZoneAlarm Free OR Kerio are FREE firewalls.

Understanding and using firewalls

Update your antivirus and let it perform a full scan.
REBOOT afterwards and post a new hijackthislog.
Due to the lack of feedback, this Topic is closed. If you need this topic reopened for continuations of existing problems, please request this by sending me a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI