openacres
Topic Starter
Please help out an old wrinkly here, folks. I’ve just bought a wide-screen Philips monitor, the 200WP7es, with WSXGA, wide format 1680x1050 resolution. When I go Control Panel->Display->Settings->Screen Resolution, the slider tops out at 1600x1200.
Onto Advanced -> Adapter ->List all Modes, the required 1680x1050 just ain’t there! The same panel gives
Adapter type as SiS 650_651_M650_m652_740
Adapter information: Chip type : SiS 740 Rev 00
DAC Type: Internal
Adapter string: SiS Compatible VGA
BIOS Information:1.05.00
When I go to the SiS download site, http://www.sis.com/support/support_prodid.htm
And click on Product Identification, the following info is eventually shown:
Results:
North Bridge Chipset: 740
South Bridge Chipset: 962/962L
Graphics Processing Unit: SiS Real256 Graphics
Related drivers:
Categories DensityDevice Available for Download
Graphics SiS Real256 Graphics Y
AGP SiS Acceleration Graphic Port Y
IDE SiS IDE Controller Y
USB USB 1.1 / USB 2.0 N/A. Provided by OS.
Audio SiS 7012 Audio Controller Y
LAN SiS 900 Fast Ethernet Controller Y
Now, whether any of the foregoing is relevant to my problem (or even what it means!), I have not any idea at all!
The problem is ……..
HOW THE HELL DO I GET THE SCREEN LOOKING RIGHT AND NOT STRETCHED?
Considering that I bought the screen for graphic work in the first place, do I have any way out of this predicament? If I have to download any of these SiS drivers, to where do I download them? I seem to have SiS files all over the place. Again, whether or not they have anything to do with my monitor is a closed shop to me; and if I do download new stuff, do I just delete all this other stuff? (Do I hear "at your peril…"?!
If you feel you can help me, I'd be mightily obliged, even if it's to say "chuck out your new monitor and go back to your ten year old CRT". But lead me gently by the hand - I don't know nuffink! Sorry to go on at such length!
Onto Advanced -> Adapter ->List all Modes, the required 1680x1050 just ain’t there! The same panel gives
Adapter type as SiS 650_651_M650_m652_740
Adapter information: Chip type : SiS 740 Rev 00
DAC Type: Internal
Adapter string: SiS Compatible VGA
BIOS Information:1.05.00
When I go to the SiS download site, http://www.sis.com/support/support_prodid.htm
And click on Product Identification, the following info is eventually shown:
Results:
North Bridge Chipset: 740
South Bridge Chipset: 962/962L
Graphics Processing Unit: SiS Real256 Graphics
Related drivers:
Categories DensityDevice Available for Download
Graphics SiS Real256 Graphics Y
AGP SiS Acceleration Graphic Port Y
IDE SiS IDE Controller Y
USB USB 1.1 / USB 2.0 N/A. Provided by OS.
Audio SiS 7012 Audio Controller Y
LAN SiS 900 Fast Ethernet Controller Y
Now, whether any of the foregoing is relevant to my problem (or even what it means!), I have not any idea at all!
The problem is ……..
HOW THE HELL DO I GET THE SCREEN LOOKING RIGHT AND NOT STRETCHED?
Considering that I bought the screen for graphic work in the first place, do I have any way out of this predicament? If I have to download any of these SiS drivers, to where do I download them? I seem to have SiS files all over the place. Again, whether or not they have anything to do with my monitor is a closed shop to me; and if I do download new stuff, do I just delete all this other stuff? (Do I hear "at your peril…"?!
If you feel you can help me, I'd be mightily obliged, even if it's to say "chuck out your new monitor and go back to your ten year old CRT". But lead me gently by the hand - I don't know nuffink! Sorry to go on at such length!