Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91913 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Unknown Zone (mixed)?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:49 PM

:wavey: hello

its me again I have another query regarding my msn Hotmail account.

When I go to my inbox at the bottom of the window there is a globe symbol with the text: unknown zone (mixed).
Can anyone en light me on this.
I'am suddenly becoming aware of all these little things - which could be a good thing or a bad thing lol.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,994 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:23 AM

Hi,
Interesting question.
Have a look here:
http://discussions.v...ad.php?t=144974
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:00 AM

Hi paws Thanks for the info but being a simple man I dont really understand how to solve this. in the link you provided me with it talks about editing the registry and I haven't the confidence or the know how to do this. please help kind regards

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,994 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

Hi
Ok, nothing to worry about, nothing to solve., no editing of Registry required. (thank goodness I hear you say!)
Here's a link to Tony Klein's excelent words of wisdom, on how to keep your machine safe, it's called "So how did I get infected in the first place?" but don't let the title put you off!
Section 12 will tell you how to secure your Internet Explorer
http://forums.spywar...showtopic=60955
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:27 AM

Thank you very much paws I was starting to sweat when I saw "edit registry" Is possible to ask your advice on one more topic please??? I have "Ad-Aware 2007", "Spybot search & destroy" & "AVG Anti-spyware" do these interfere with my antivirus or otherwise and is it ok to have them all on my computer or just a couple??? Thank you again for your help kind regards manicd :)

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,994 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:17 PM

Hi You have 3 good programmes there, all of good repute. so well done. Ad-Aware v1.06 used to conflict with McAfee anti virus (sometimes the two were incompatible) I do not know if the same applies to the new version from Lavasoft (Ad-Aware 2007) But if you aren't running McAfee then don't worry. Spybot S&D needs to be Version 1.4 and I recommend the use of the "Immunise facility, although personally I don't use the Tea Timer facility. AVG (Avgas as its friends call it) has a real time protection built in to it (1st 14 days only for free version) and if you have other protections running real time protection, they don't usually conflict, but they do have an effect by sapping your computer's resources, so slowing things down. The golden rule is to have, running at the same time: Only one, 2 way ( bidirectional) firewall Only one, anti virus running real time protection Only one, anti spyware running real time protection. Any extra protection provided by a hardware firewall within say a router is however a bonus and is OK! You can scan your machine using various programmes the trick is not to have more than one of each running full time real time protection. You can get away with it breaking this rule for antispyware only but with a "hit" on performance but please don't try it with any of the others. For personal use only, all the 3 above (in various guises) can be had free of charge) Regards paws

Edited by paws, 17 June 2007 - 12:20 PM.

#7 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 01:17 PM

:thumbup: :thumbup: cheers for the technical advice, as much appreciated. regards

#8 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:24 PM

Hi

Im still in the process of updating the security on my laptop (thats why I have been asking so many questions lol) and have consequently installed comodo firewall.
Now that I am using this fire wall do I turn of my windows one????????
I also use the programme Limewire which after installing Comodo now hides behind a firewall any ideas on how to let fully connect

Regards
:D

Edited by manicd, 17 June 2007 - 04:26 PM.

#9 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,994 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:48 PM

Hi Yes, there is no point in having them both running.
You say you are running a filesharing application, you will need all your good security products! and make sure you update them daily, as a minimum (hourly would be better!). Files sharing is notorious for introducing "undesirable elements" into computers as some/many of the files that are shared are "accompanied" by some pretty undesirable bits of code. These are often concealed or disguised to hide their darker side! If you are concerned about security this is one area that you really need to think hard about, and when you have done thinking....consider it all very carefully, before taking action.

Scan everything at least twice that you download, have a good sniff around it, be very wary and keep the URL of the malware removal forum handy if you really want to do this.!

Here's a link to a site that gives further information:
http://www.netalert....P2P-Network.asp
Good luck, I think maybe you are going to need it!
Regards
paws

#10 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:58 PM

Thank you Ive used limewire for awhile now and havent experienced any problems as yet but thank you for the warning. Maybe I will think twice now. Thanks again your a gem Cheers :thumbup: