This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Disable Touchpad On Laptop

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, Is it possible to temporarily disable the touchpad on my laptop? Most of the time I use a USB mouse and the palms of my hands keep hitting the touchpad. EXTREMELY annoying. I have a Gateway Laptop - Model MX6440 and I'm running Windows XP Prof. I've tried and tried, but I don't see a way to do this. Thanks in Advance :)
Have a look in MSCONFIG - Services(tab) - Checkmark "Hide all Microsoft".
Of the remaining items look for items related to touchpad.
Then experiment with disabling it or them (one at a time) until you get the one you want.

Best Regards
Try this, from:
http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gatewa…/5376faq8.shtml

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I change the touchpad settings on this notebook?

A: Follow these steps to change the touchpad settings on this notebook.

1. From the Start menu, click Control Panel. With Control Panel in Category View, click Printers and Other Hardware.

2. In the Printers and Other Hardware window, click the Mouse icon.

3. In the Mouse Properties dialog box, click the Device Settings tab, and then click Settings.

4. To modify a touchpad setting, click the + in front of the setting you want to change, and then modify the setting.

5. To save changes, click OK.

A good chunck of notebooks have a button around the edge of the touchpad itself.



my girlfriend has the same laptop, and it doesn't have that button. worse is that neither of the solutions above is working, http://www.NoTouchpad.com doesn't have any effect at all. any other suggestions?
Try going to Control Panel > Mouse. Click on the Device Settings Tab, then from the List Box of devices select the one with "MousePad" or "TouchPad" in the title. Then click the Disable button and click OK.

Try going to Control Panel > Mouse. Click on the Device Settings Tab, then from the List Box of devices select the one with "MousePad" or "TouchPad" in the title. Then click the Disable button and click OK.



been there, done that. but this laptop is the weirdest piece of technology i have ever seen because even if i disable that the thing that doesn't work is the usb mouse.
there are two items there but both are doing the same thing, really weird they both disable the usb mouse. i will try an update, thanks.
Try disabling it from the Hardware tab. Click on the device, then click Properties and go to the General Tab. There should be a drop down box at the bottom called "Device Usage", try setting it to "Do Not Use this Device (Disabled)". Try that after you install the driver though.
here's some information in the "For what it's worth" category. I'm presently working on an older HP laptop nx9010. It uses Synaptics TouchPad Software and Drivers as do many/most laptops. I was unable to cause the desired effect with any of the above routines. However, if a PS/2 mouse is connected to the machine, the touchpad is automatically disabled. 📎TouchPad_disabled.jpg It is likely that the same will occur for most other Laptops. The effect does not occur if a USB Mouse or USB-wireless Mouse is installed. And of course, many newer Laptops don't come equiped with PS/2 connector. Like I said in opening…. For what it's worth. Doug
Is there a function key on your laptop? I know it sounds obvious but I had trouble with one of my computers touchpads not working. I realised instead of muting the sound I disabled the touchpad. On my laptop (which is an Acer) to enable/disable the touchpad I press the Fn key along with the F7 key which has an icon of a finger inside a box to represent the touchpad controls as shown here:
[attachment removed]
This may help

Edited to remove advertisement link to competitive site offering paid services.
Please read my statement in the following post.
Doug
Hi there, DigitalOutlaw

I briefly browsed your website.
Looks like you have some good things started and starting soon.

We are an "all volunteer" and "not for profit" group of Members who contribute our time and talents for free.

A feature of your website is "hire a remote tech".
It very well could become a thriving business for you.
I wish you well with it.

Your site offers for free and for pay, services and information similar to WTT, making our sites rivals.
We can certainly be friendly about that rivalry, but we do not allow advertisement nor links to rival sites nor to commercial paid products and services.

If you read around the WTT site very much at all you will notice that we have a large number of highly talented folks, many of whom are in the IT business in some way or another, quite a few of them owning local shops and also offering remote access assistance.

What you won't notice is any advertisement by our members, nor help via PM, nor via email, nor via remote access.

If you wish to volunteer your knowledge and skill at WTT you are welcome to join with us, and will very likey find an enjoyable home-away-from-home place here on the internet.

Please read our forum rules to help you get an idea of the guidelines we follow.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/boardrules.html

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI