barnabyjones
Topic Starter
I recently did a reformat/reinstall of XP home and for a few days things were fine, then I started to have random restarts, without it going to the BSOD and giving me a stop error message, the PC would just restart.
I had not disabled auto restart, so I did, even then the PC would just restart without giving me a stop error.
A few times since then I have gotten the BSOD upon startup, and after randomly after windows loads. Every time its the 0x0000008E stop error, which could be software or hardware according to microsoft. Since then Ive run memtest and used a voltage meter to take readings of my PSU, there appear to be no issues there.
I only have 1 80gb HDD, it might be the problem but I have no other HDD to swap it out with or the money to buy a new HDD, I also don't know how to test it to see if it might be the problem, if there is a way at that.
I downloaded windows debugging tools in hopes of reading the minidump's but Ive only run into problem with the symbol files. So I downloaded those and still cant get it to work correctly.
Anyhow I open the minidump, and towards the bottom under 'Bugcheck Analysis' it shows the 10000008E (c0000005, 8051a747, ae8f8b54) error message I see with the BSOD and under that it says "probably caused by: ntoskrnl.exe".
Does that mean the file ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt?
I also have reoccurring registry entries that reg supreme pro 1.4 keeps showing as "useless entry". They all start with HRZR and are found in the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\
After looking online some have said they shouldn't exist while others say they have to do with windows shutting down. Im completely confused.
I also posted a hijack this in the proper thread, it doesn't show much as I don't have much installed but thought I should do so just in case this whole thing is caused by Malware of some type.
any ideas?
here is a link to my hijack this log: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/Hjt_Log_t79500.html
I had not disabled auto restart, so I did, even then the PC would just restart without giving me a stop error.
A few times since then I have gotten the BSOD upon startup, and after randomly after windows loads. Every time its the 0x0000008E stop error, which could be software or hardware according to microsoft. Since then Ive run memtest and used a voltage meter to take readings of my PSU, there appear to be no issues there.
I only have 1 80gb HDD, it might be the problem but I have no other HDD to swap it out with or the money to buy a new HDD, I also don't know how to test it to see if it might be the problem, if there is a way at that.
I downloaded windows debugging tools in hopes of reading the minidump's but Ive only run into problem with the symbol files. So I downloaded those and still cant get it to work correctly.
Anyhow I open the minidump, and towards the bottom under 'Bugcheck Analysis' it shows the 10000008E (c0000005, 8051a747, ae8f8b54) error message I see with the BSOD and under that it says "probably caused by: ntoskrnl.exe".
Does that mean the file ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt?
I also have reoccurring registry entries that reg supreme pro 1.4 keeps showing as "useless entry". They all start with HRZR and are found in the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\
After looking online some have said they shouldn't exist while others say they have to do with windows shutting down. Im completely confused.
I also posted a hijack this in the proper thread, it doesn't show much as I don't have much installed but thought I should do so just in case this whole thing is caused by Malware of some type.
any ideas?
here is a link to my hijack this log: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/Hjt_Log_t79500.html