This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Error 1406

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Would appreciate some help with this as I have spent many hours trying to solve this problem with no results (not even from support). I am trying to re-install Shadow User Pro 2.5. I've had this program for some time but started having problems with a couple of features. I un-installed it and then tried to re-install it; then the problem started. When I try to install it I get the following message: Error 1406 - Could not write value AppInit_DLLs to key\software\microsoft\windows NT\Current Version \ Windows. Verify you have sufficient access to that key or contact your support personnel. Am am running WinXP SP2 with HP Administrator rights and permissions for that key, so I don't see the problem. I am also running System Suites 7 firewall and anti-virus - Win Patrol - Process Guard - Analog X port blocker - Spy Sweeper - Counter Spy - CCleaner and I have all Windows Updates and HotFixes. TIA for any help offered.
Hi Willie G. I've not used the out-of-the-box virtual machine environment product that you refer to. Looks interesting and I'd appreciate hearing about it if you choose to comment. Several of the Security Utilities that you list as in use on your machine may be blocking the changes that you mention, including: Win Patrol Process Guard Spy Sweeper Counter Spy Keep us posted with your progress and additional questions. Best Regards
Hi, Dough My progress with this problem is still ZERO ! About ready to chalk it up to experience and move on to *Green Borders*. As I said before, I've used this program for some time with no problems. It's similar to Sandboxie in that everything you do in the *protected* zone isn't *written to disk* ( I don't know how, unless this is just a selling point ). When you re-boot it all disappears leaving your disk as it was before, thus allowing you to try new programs without fear of messing up your system. If they work okay then you just *commit* that program and re-boot. It is saved to permanent disk ready to use. Same for viruses encountered while in *Shadow* mode. They have no effect on your computer and are discarded upon re-boot.
Hi, Dough Thought about what you posted and since Counter Spy was the last program I installed, I killed that program. That allowed me to install Shadow User Pro but I'm not so sure I'm going to keep it. I downloaded about 20 wallpaper selections just to check it out. After I re-booted the wallpapers were NOT in the download folder. However, I sent some of the wallpapers to my wallpaper folder. I checked that folder and they were not in there so I figured I was back in business. However, there were a few Mothers Day wallpapers I wanted to save so I went back to download them again. When I went to save them in my folder I got a message that the item was already there and did I want to overwrite it. Wierd. Therefore, I can't trust it. Willie G.
Thanks for the comments, Willie G. Downloaded Wallpapers are "notorious" for adware/spyware. Run a scan on any that you download. Seems like you'd have options in "where' you wanted to save or move a downloaded file to a permanent location. Again, I'm not familiar with your application, so don't know. Glad you got it sorted so far. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI