This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Computer Won't Restart After Spylocked Removal

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I followed the instructions at this link http://forums.tomcoyote.org/How_Remove_Smi…ect_t61697.html
to remove Spylocked. I was on the step right after SmitFraud clean (step 2) and it asked whether to clean my registry. Then
it said it was going to re-boot. The screen froze, it still had 'safe mode' at the bottom, and never powered down. So after about 3 minutes, I pushed the power button off. When I tried to restart it, it briefly had a blue screen that said fatal error, then the Window's Logo screen as usual, then went black….then to the blue screen again and cycled this way until I turned the power off manually.
Is there anything I can do or do I have to take it to a computer service shop?
Welcome to the forum, sorry your having problems.

Try this, press the power button to start the computer and then start tapping the F8 key somewhat rapidly, don't hold it down or you will get a Keyboard stuck error message. if done correctly it will bring up a menu, use your arrows keys to scroll down to LAST KNOWN GOOD and hit enter and see if that works. If not I will refer you to some windows support forums that deal with that issue.

Ken :D
Ken, Thank you very much for replying. I did some further searching on my own while waiting for help here, and I was able to bring up the safe mode option screen, but I couldn't go into safe mode. Last known good config also didn't work. I ended up re-formatting last night. I appreciate your willingness to help me. Have a great day.
Your welcome . :thumbup: Formatting and a clean install is no fun but sometimes its needed to get your system right. I quess you can see what destruction all this garbage causes sometimes.

Here are some free programs for you to install to help keep you more secure on the internet.

Malware Complaints
Are you mad ? I mean really mad, seething mad, so mad your ready to spit, mad that you have taken your hard earned dollars to buy a computer only to have some Miscredents, Dirt Bags and Cyber Criminals install a malicious program on your computer without your knowledge or consent. You can post your complaint at the above site. If you live in the U.S.A. you can also report your grievance to your State Attorney Generals Office and the Federal Trade Commission's Bureau of Consumer Protection.


How did I get infected in the first place ? Read these links and find out how to prevent getting infected again.
  • Tutorial for System Restore <– Do this first to prevent yourself from being reinfected.
  • Tom Coyote
  • TonyKlein CastleCops
  • Grinler BleepingComputer
  • Geeks To Go
  • Dslreports



Here are some free programs to install, don't leave home without them
  • Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4
    Check for Updates/ Immunize and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis.
  • Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06
    Check for Updates and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis.
  • Spyware Blaster It will prevent most spyware from ever being installed.
  • Spyware Guard It offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • Win Patrol This program will warn you when any changes are being made to your system and give you the option to deny the change.
  • IE-Spyad
    IE-Spyad places over 4000 web sites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • Firefox 2.0 It has more features and is a lot more secure than IE. It is a very easy and painless download and install, it will no way interfere with IE, you can use them both.
  • Zone Alarm Here is a free Firewall from Zone Labs, I wouldn't access the internet without it.
Thanks for stopping by Tom Coyote , I'm glad I was able to help you. :D
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI