This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Ad-aware Terminated Before It Gets Started

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello. I am unable to run Ad-Aware or any other anti-malware programs on my pc. The Ad-Aware open momentarily then closes down. It's getting terminated before it gets started. I tried re-installing it but again the same problem. It gets terminated immediately. Any help please. Should I include a Hijackthis log? Thank you in advance.
There are various malwares that target various antimalware utilities like Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06. Clear out your C:\Windows\Temp folder, and your Temporary Internet Files. Clear your JAVA Cache Run your onboard AntiVirus if you have one. Run your onboard Spybot Search & Destroy if you have it. If not download and run it. ________ Then Post your HJT LOG over in our Malware Removal Forum for an expert checkup. Best Regards

Clear out your C:\Windows\Temp folder, and your Temporary Internet Files.

Clear your JAVA Cache


By "Clear out your C:\Windows\Temp folder", you mean deleting the files, correct?

Run your onboard AntiVirus if you have one.
Run your onboard Spybot Search & Destroy if you have it. If not download and run it.


I have my AVG-antivirus program scheduled to run everyday and it's not clearing the problem. I am currently running Spybot Search & Destroy. I tried to check for updates before running it but it kept getting error message attempting to get updates. I haven't used it in a long time so it might be out of date but I am running what I have.
I ran Spybot Search & Destroy and it seems it cleared the problem. I am now running the Ad-Aware. I will do the same on my other PC that has the same problem. Thank you, sir, for your help.
It is still recommended that you post your HJT Log over into the Malware Removal Forum for an expert check-up. "Something" disabled your Ad-Aware. Spybot Search & Destroy "may" have cleared the bad-guy, but let's not take chances on something as important as your machine's security! Yes, by "clear", I mean "delete files" in C:\Windows\Temp and your Temporary Internet Files. You can delete most of your Temporary Internet Files and Cookies via Control Panel - Internet Options - Click on Delete Cookies – Click on Delete File - (allow Offline items to be removed as well) You can clear your JAVA Cache via Control Panel - JAVA - JAVA Control Panel - Delete Files Best Regards
Temporary files deleted. Internet files and cookies deleted. Java Cache cleared. I will run a Hijackthis and report a log at the Hijackthis Fora. Thanks for your help.
I notice you say you are having problems with the spybot updates? this does happen sometimes; however, I also notice you say you do NOT update it 'regularly'; a good on-line practice is TO update maybe even on a daily basis, ALL of your protection programs including your av program so they ARE in good working order when you do need them ; that updating should take only a few brief moments to complete if done on a daily basis (or each day you go on line); you may find that a good and useful practice to adopt ;)
Agreed. I don't use spybot much because I use other anti-malware and I run the anti-virus program everyday. I put a hijackthis log a couple of days ago but no one is responding to it. Can you please take a look at it in the Hijackthis logs?
Hi myspace1, Good work so far. Please be patient with the HJT folks. They are all volunteers, and as you can see for yourself, very busy. ________ I have a couple of questions that may fall into the catagory of — "None of my business." If you determine that my questions are "uncalled for" please ignore them, or feel free to reply accordingly. My "intent" is to bring to your attention what seems to be possible conflicts and possible venues for your machine use to be "exploited". Observations: First, you appear to participate in online banking. That's just fine. I do online banking too. But because I do online banking, I am also quite careful about the other applications that I allow to be loaded on this machine. Next, you appear to have Remote Access applications , Trace Route applications, and Annoymizer applications. I have no problem with any of the above classes of applicaitons, but have concern about their uses. ____ - Your Remote DeskTop Access applicaiton is not one that I am familiar with, but visiting their website I find that they convey a rather casual attitude about the software. Having Remote DeskTop Access installed, does not mean that your machine is vulnerable, but it does open a venue for possible exploitation if the application is allowed to remain active when you are not using it yourself, in a password protected manner. - Trace Route Applications are interesting and useful, but require a certain level of sophistocation in their use. Sometimes, less knowledgeable users get frustrated with spam and other unwanted materials being addressed to their email client or browser. They then discover "trace route" software and hope to be able to find solid information about where and why such material is being addressed to them, so they can "do something about it". My observation is that "spam" is best handled by "deleting before opening" and that any attempt to investigate "can" lead the owner/user into interactions that ironically "confirm" a response to the spam, when the original purpose was to get rid of it. - "Annoymizers" in my opinion/experience, generally do not provide any sufficient level of protection/security for the user. However, a user of an annonymizer application may be led to believe that they are in fact more secure because of their use. Be careful, and do not 'rely" on an annonymizer utility to protect your browsing. - Just my opinion, but p0rt2.com is suspect, and I would not want it to be in my Trusted Zone. ________ Please know that the above observations are simply my opinion and are in no way intended to prompt any action on your part or to criticize your computer use. Your level of computer savvy may be way beyond my own and you may have elected to use the above listed applications in competent ways that are beyond my understanding. I am concerned for computer security, particularly when financial transactions occur online, and hope to convey the importance of using the utmost care when mixing various web activities that may not be compatible with high security. As I read your post, you appear to already be quite security conscious. I hope my additional comments above compliment your present awareness in a way that improves your ability to browse the web and use the many wonderful web resources in manner that meets your preferences. Best Regards

Agreed. I don't use spybot much because I use other anti-malware and I run the anti-virus program everyday.

I put a hijackthis log a couple of days ago but no one is responding to it. Can you please take a look at it in the Hijackthis logs?



as you will see from my profile ,I am not authorised to reply to any log threads; I have however, marked your HJT thread to follow developments on it



you seem to have avg and avg antispyware plus spybot ; and ?adaware?

lets see what a log expert says :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI