This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Hanging Pentium Splash screen at start up.

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I have a pentium4 splash screen that appears at boot up and hangs for 1 minute and 6 seconds before the boot continues. It used to flash on and flash off. I though it was a trojan or something along those lines and Ken545 has done lots of checks with me and is sure that it is a windows problem now and has advised a post on here. When somebody gets a minute, could they please advise how I can stop the splash screen hanging. Thanks.
Hi, Sorry to hear of the problem with the splash screen on your computer. Some protected Windows System files may have become damaged, or missing or just in the wrong place. As a first step try running the Windows System File Checker Start>Run>sfc /scannow>OK NOTE the space in the above is essential. Windows may ask you to insert your Win XP sp2 installation disc, if it needs to copy or replace damaged or missing files, so be sure to have it handy. (NOTE A manufacturers Restore disc is not used for this procedure) Post back and advise if this has helped Regards paws
Hi Paws, thanks for coming back. We ran that check last night and it didnt help. As well as that one we ran AVG anti spyware and root checkers, Ccleaner, Scan disc, Blacklight and Hijack This. Thanks.
Hi, Crow who is an expert on these forums has sent me a message saying that the problem you are having is one that starts before Windows loads, that being the case it points to either some changes in the BIOS that have been made or some hardware that has been installed/reinstalled or altered. The next step therefore is for you to reset your BIOS to the default or failsafe settings, let Windows load, reboot and then see if there is any improvement. Have you or anyone who has access to your machine added, or altered any hardware or settings, including network cards or anything to do with your network since the problem began? Also are you familiar with and did you take all the recommended personal safety and antistatic precautions when you checked out and cleaned inside your machine? Regards paws
Paws, The strange thing is just appeared to happen. I reformatted my computer to try to reset it, but its still the same. That was when I got in touch with you guys. I also tried to restore the pc to an earlier date before I reformatted it. So, no is the answer. More than happy to have a go at anything you can advise though.
Hi, The fact that the problem persists after you have formatted and reinstalled confirms that Crow's thoughts are correct and the problem is in hardware/BIOS. So go ahead and set your Bios to default/safe settings let Windows load and then close down, reboot and see how you go. Regards paws
Hi,
Heres the instructions you need.

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec020203.html

When you are in the BIOS you will see a "follow on" menu at the bottom of the page and this will include a setting something along the lines of:
default or save failsafe settings
select this, save the changes and see how you go.
Whilst you are in the Bios do not mess with anything you are not sure about! but it is OK to set your boot priority (usually found in "Advanced Options") to floppy followed by CD followed by Hard drive, usually called Hard drive 0
What you need to avoid is trying to boot from anything to do with your network or Zip drive or USB
Let us know how you get on
Regards
paws
Hi, Maybe we are beginning to narrow down the problem a bit…at least I hope so. Please have a look at post 4 again and comment on the questions I raised. (I am anxious that we don't miss anything) Next step is to disconnect (physically unplug) your computer from any peripheral, so disconnect your: Printer, Scanner, Router Ext modem (if fitted) any Usb devices and anything else that is plugged in. I would like you to try and reboot your machine just with your VDU (Screen), mouse and keyboard and of course your power cable connected and nothing else at all and see how you go. When you post back please advise if your keyboard or mouse is connected with USB or PS2 connectors? Regards paws
Extremely well done Paws. That was so blatently obvious once you said take everything off. I was running with 2 mice, one for games and an optical one that was always too quick for the games for me. I moved the computer and un-plugged everything and then re -plugged it all in and that was when the problem started. They always worked fine before, but I guess I plugged them back in differantly somehow. I hadnt even considered that. Still I have learned a bit from yourself and Ken so many thanks for that and many thanks for sorting out the problem I caused myself. One final problem I would really appreciate some help with is the message that appears after boot up. It says (I am sure you have had this one before)- There is no disc in the drive- Please insert a disc into the drive. I have been onto the Microsoft site to see the cause, but all my drives are labelled as they should be. Anything you can do for this would also be appreciated.
Paws, That was the one I went to but I dont have a zip drive and all the drives are labelled as they should be. Even after I re-formatted the pc it came back. Not that its a real pain, but it would be nice to get rid of it. Thanks.
Hi, It could be something like a card reader trying to find a card and failing, or a cd/DVD application or even a game or encyclopaedia or other application checking for a disc so look for anything like this in your system. If no joy then you can run the msconfig tool Start>Run>MSCONFIG>OK go to Startup tab, and examine each of your startup items for likely culprits, Google for each one if necessary then apart from leaving your firewall and antivirus running disable half of the remaining items by unchecking the box, making a note of each one you have unchecked. Now do a reboot and see if the problem has gone if it has then one of the startup items is the culprit and you can repeat the exercise until the trouble maker is found! If you still have a problem then disable the other half and then try a reboot… I'm sure you get the drift Apart from AV and firewall you can disable them all just for a trial.. Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI