Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Calls for Gonzales Resignation Mount

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spy1

spy1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:44 PM

Here's a petition I gladly signed - even though it originates with Hillary:

http://www.hillarycl...n.com/?splash=1

"Edwards: 'I think Alberto Gonzales ought to be gone'" :

http://www.cnn.com/P...ales-ought.html

"Sen. Schumer says Gonzales Should Go"

http://www.cnn.com/2...s.ap/index.html

"Gonzales Faces Calls for Resignation, Cancels Trip

http://www.cnn.com/2...s.ap/index.html

Now, if someone would just come up with a petition to have him hung or put in front of a firing squad.... Pete
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Susan528

Susan528

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:48 PM

Now, if someone would just come up with a petition to have him hung or put in front of a firing squad.... Pete

Have you been talking to Sean Penn?
Posted Image

Proud member of ASAP since 2005

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Want to help others? Come join us in the Class Room and learn how.

#3 spy1

spy1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:37 PM

btw - Even fellow Republicans are looking askance at Gonzales:

http://www.congressc...om/archives/927

""Senate Republican urges Bush to fire Gonzales
March 15th, 2007 · No Comments

Reuters
Wednesday, March 14, 2007

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sen. John Sununu of New Hampshire on Wednesday became the first Republican in the U.S. Congress to urge President George W. Bush to oust U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.

“The president should fire the attorney general and replace him as soon as possible with someone who can provide strong, aggressive leadership,” Sununu said in a statement a day after Gonzales admitted mistakes were made in the firing of eight federal prosecutors.

Earlier on Wednesday, Bush gave a lukewarm endorsement to Gonzales and said the firings of the U.S. attorneys was mishandled.

“I’m frankly not happy about it,” Bush told a joint news conference with Mexican President Felipe Calderon in Merida, Mexico.

Several Democrats in Congress have called on Gonzales to resign or be fired. A number of congressional Republicans have voiced concerns about the attorney general, and Sununu was the first to publicly call for him to be replaced."
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

#4 Susan528

Susan528

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:15 PM

http://www.opinionjo...ml?id=110009784

As everyone once knew but has tried to forget, Mr. Hubbell was a former partner of Mrs. Clinton at the Rose Law Firm in Little Rock who later went to jail for mail fraud and tax evasion. He was also Bill and Hillary Clinton's choice as Associate Attorney General in the Justice Department when Janet Reno, his nominal superior, simultaneously fired all 93 U.S. Attorneys in March 1993. Ms. Reno--or Mr. Hubbell--gave them 10 days to move out of their offices.

No question, the Justice Department and White House have botched the handling of this issue from start to finish. But what we don't have here is any serious evidence that the Administration has acted improperly or to protect some of its friends. If Democrats want to understand what a real abuse of power looks like, they can always ask the junior Senator from New York.

Posted Image

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

#5 spy1

spy1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2...neys/index.html

"GOP senator calls for Gonzales' head

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The focus in the controversy over the firing of eight U.S. attorneys is turning increasingly to Alberto Gonzales' future as attorney general.

Sen. John Sununu of New Hampshire on Wednesday became the first Republican lawmaker to call for Gonzales' resignation.

"The president should fire the attorney general and replace him as soon as possible with someone who can provide strong, aggressive leadership," Sununu said in a statement released by his office.

Sununu told CNN that Gonzales has lost all credibility because of the firings, controversy over renewal of the Patriot Act, and a report last week that the FBI had underreported its use of national security letters to snoop on Americans.

"These failures have created a deep, widespread lack of confidence in the ability of the attorney general to effectively serve the president at a very important time," Sununu said."

============

I love it. Pete
--George Washington

#6 Susan528

Susan528

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:27 AM

http://www.opinionjo...w/?id=110009793

Presidents--yes, even President Bush--have a right to shape a broad prosecutorial agenda, and to demand their appointees pursue those priorities. This isn't just acceptable, it's desirable. U.S. attorneys have few enough checks on their power, without also laboring under the delusion they don't have to answer to their boss. In this case, the administration had more than enough philosophical differences with the fired attorneys--on issues of voter fraud, the death penalty, obscenity--to justify replacement.

Mr. Bush is sticking with Mr. Gonzales for the moment, and that may make sense. For all the noise of this affair, there's still no there there, and Democrats will have to dig up dirtier dirt to force a resignation. But if the White House is smart it will learn from this and start taking the opposition to heart.

Posted Image

#7 spy1

spy1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:48 AM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17706443/

"WASHINGTON - Presidential hopeful Tom Tancredo has joined the growing chorus of lawmakers calling for U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales to resign - only not for the usual reason.

Unlike others criticizing Gonzales over the recent firing of eight U.S. attorneys, the Colorado Republican said the embattled attorney general should go because of "a series of leadership failures" - chiefly his handling of illegal immigration prosecutions.

"Gonzales' legacy at the (Justice Department) has been one of misplaced priorities, political miscalculation, and a failure to enforce the laws which he has sworn to uphold," Tancredo said in a statement Tuesday. "I think that it is time for him to move on."
--George Washington

#8 spy1

spy1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:45 AM

http://www.foxnews.c...,263035,00.html

Republican Congressman Urges Gonzales to Step Down

WASHINGTON — A Republican congressman on Saturday urged Attorney General Alberto Gonzales to resign, citing what he said were Gonzales' contradictory statements about his role in the firing of eight federal prosecutors.

"I trusted him before, but I can't now," said five-term Rep. Lee Terry, whose district includes metropolitan Omaha.

"My views were that this was Democrat posturing and a witch hunt," Terry said. "My trust in him in that position has taken a hit because of these contradictory statements by him."

Terry, asked whether he believed Gonzales' accounts, said: "I don't know ... I don't think so. ... I trusted him before, but I can't now."

He added, "Frankly, until these statements came out that contradicted his first statement, I was backing him, saying that he shouldn't resign. Now I think that he should."
--George Washington