Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

cant open shtml web sites

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dontno

dontno

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:retired

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:51 AM

have been unable to get into the following web site ...servicecanada.gc.ca (www) it just wont open I believe it is a shtml ... we do bi weekly reports on site for manpower for empoyment insurance . I believe some setting is corrupted... have called internet supplier aliant but after an hour or so they didnt solve any issues. dell 2400...xp ..2sp.....spybot ..spyblaster.. adware se aliant antivirus ,...aliant anti spyware tried system restore, internet exporer updates ,windows update , so now I dont no what settings to try or how to looking for help and guidence thanks dontno Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2 Scan saved at 2:28:41 PM, on 12/03/2007 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16414)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:34 PM

Not sure if this applies, but you may need JAVA to access shtml sites. It is possible that your JAVA Cache has become corrupted. Clear your JAVA Cache via Control Panel - JAVA - JAVA Control Panel - Delete Temporary Internet Files. Be sure you have the most current version of JAVA (1.6.0) and that you have Uninstalled any older versions of JAVA via Control Panel - Add/Remove, because older versions do contain problematic vulnerabilities. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 dontno

dontno

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:42 PM

will try that and report back....my java in add programs/remove java2 sev1.4.2 java2seruntime5.0 update6,8,11 hope it works thanks dontno

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:46 PM

If you are running XP, shift over to JAVA 1.6.0, here:
http://java.sun.com/...loads/index.jsp

#5 dontno

dontno

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:20 PM

thanks ..dough..for help,....being a rookie I am intimidated by all the downloads available for java at the link above, in lastpost ....to many choices jdk6... jdk6 with java EE.....jre6 ....etc I dont want to delete old java and updates til I make sure I am doing this in the right order and have the correct process .....dont want get my wife mad at me..again could you give me further clarifacation dontno (chicken)

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:27 PM

http://java.sun.com/...loads/index.jsp
-----> Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 <---- this is the one you want

Click on Download -- takes you Download page where you will need to "Accept License Agreement"

After Accept License Agreement, select the Windows Offline Installation
Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language jre-6-windows-i586.exe 12.56 MB

Download and Save to a location you will easily remember.

OK. Now you have the most Recent Version downloaded and ready to install......... But first......!!!

Close any/all browsers.
GoTo:
Controll Panel - Add/Remove
Select to remove ALL of the items related to JAVA.
You will have to Remove each one individually via Add/Remove
You may be asked to Reboot to complete the Uninstall procedure between each one.

Once you have your old versions Removed/Uninstalled, you are ready to install the Most Recent Version.
Double-Click on the file you downloaded << jre-6-windows-i586.exe >> to initiate the Offline Installation.

If you are running a Firewall like ZoneAlarm you may receive a request that JAVA Installer wants to connect to the Internet........ Allow ..........

Follow the on-screen prompts to completion and you should be good to go.

JAVA updates at irregular intervals (I would even say "erradic intervals")

The TC Forums has a sub-Forum for Security Program Updates where you will promptly be notified if a newer version becomes available.
A well-respected Member of this Forum >> AplusWebMaster << Keeps us all informed. :)
Here's the link to this update notification:
http://forums.tomcoy...mp;#entry360657

I make sure to check on that update link periodically, as I tend to turn-off auto-updaters like JAVA'a Jushed.exe to conserve machine resources.

Best Regards

#7 dontno

dontno

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:00 PM

thanks very much for the help , i will do as you suggest and report back in the morning dontno

#8 dontno

dontno

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:33 AM

I down loaded the java 1.6.0 as instructed and deleted all old java as advised but this did not solve my problem of opening secure sites but i am able to do banking on line still..... looking for other thing I might try. I turned off all secuity to see if that would help me open some of these sites no luck.. probably some little setting that is turned on or off that is causing this problem... any other ideas thanks dontno

#9 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:57 AM

Let's see if refreshing your IP configuration helps, and then we'll flush out any old/possibly corrupt DNS GoTo: Start - Run - (type)ipconfig /releaseall Next: Start - Run - (type)ipconfig /renew Next: Start - Run - (type)ipconfig /flushdns Note: I browsed for your www.servicecanada.gc.ca site and gained access with no problem, so it is not the Site itself. Hopefully the above instructions will help freshen up your system. The instructions are "safe" and using them is "common practice" when experiencing problems with site access. Best Regards

#10 dontno

dontno

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:01 PM

back again , tried refreshing ip as and followed intructions, computer seems faster going to sites but still wont let me in... can get into other government sites and when i work my way over even going around the block to get there , it still wont open....maybe some part off the address example gc.ca is triggering a security lock on the site just thinking out loud dontno

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:37 PM

Re-Reading your posts, it appears that your machine may be connected to the Internet via Router? What Brand and Model Number? If it is a combo DSLModem/Router - what brand and model number (for instance 2wire, or Belkin?) Are other machines on your same network able to connect to the sites that your own machine is having trouble with. I am not familiar with "adware se aliant antivirus". Carefully inspect the settings for that application to see if their are any references to your desired/blocked sites. What Firewall are you using? Do all the machines have the same AntiVirus and Firewall applications installed? How many machines are in your Network? Is the Network setup and Managed by IT professional? If you, or someone else locally, set up the Router, do you have the Router Setup CD for reinstallation? Maybe an answer to one of the above will give us a clue.

#12 dontno

dontno

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:34 AM

well I am back, still with the same problem cant open shtml web sites.. went back high speed internet supplier aliant which is also our main telephone supplier for the province with their own anti-spy and antivirus called freedom 5.5 not using a router, no network, only one computer , using windows firewall, was trying to see if the site ....(servicecanada.gc.ca ) was blocked out in the system some how but cant find it... the internet supplier said it was basically my problem nothing they could do, called government office and they said site is working fine.... Im pretty certain it is setting or something corruppted or missing thank for all your help dontno nb canada

#13 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:45 AM

I may have "overlooked" and therefore "overcomplicated" your solution here. The most "common" source of difficulty with browser access to specific sites relates to files in Browser Cache. As you browse the internet, your browser "saves" various URL addresses in Temporary Internet Files and Browsing History. That's a "good thing" usually, because when you regularly access the same sites that you have used on previous days, the address "resolves" quicker, resulting in smoother/quicker browsing and access to your preferred sites. However, a site address can change subtly, and the website "content" can change, sometimes resulting in a conflict when your machine's browser "looks up an address", finds that it has browsed there before, and attempts to connect to the site "exactly" as it did before. If the site address or the website content has changed, a "conflict" may result, preventing your access to the site address (URL) because it no longer exists in the form that your machine's browser has recorded from a previous visit. ________ Try cleaning the Cache and see if that solves your problem. Here's how to clear your cache with Internet Explorer 7.0 browsers: Launch your Internet Explorer browser. 1. Click on the Tools menu at the top of the browser. 2. Click on Internet Options from the drop-down menu. 3. Click on the Delete Button ... in the Browsing History section. 4. Click on the Delete Files Button... in the Temporary Internet Files section. 5. Click the Close Button ... on the Delete Browsing History screen. 6. Click OK ... on the Internet Options screen. 7. Close all browser windows , and restart Internet Explorer. Best Regards

#14 dontno

dontno

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:37 AM

yes tried that no luck... downloaded a different browser.mozilla firefox but that would not open site either, (www).servicecanada.gc.ca/en/home.html is the main site page and is not secure but still that page wont open??? every time I try it sends me back to LIVE SEARCH page. in mozilla it sends me to google search question: in windows firewall settings. excetions : only item checked is remote assistance... other items not checked are: upnp framework, remote desktop and file and printer sharing also the advanced tab: under network connection settings: settings button nothing is checked in there? should there be?........in the ICMP settings nothing checked in there either? should there be ? I did hit the restore default firewall button settings so I dont no if I did right or wrong....... dontno

#15 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:09 AM

Hi dontno, Run a HiJackThis and Post the Log over in the Malware Removal Forum. I am not suspecting that you are infected, just wanting to gather a little more information about what browser helper objects (for instance, ie toolbars) might be in play here. Note: I am not a qualified malware removal expert, and will not be providing malware removal advise based on your HJT. (though a Malware Removal Expert will look in on your log, and may provide some clues) Best Regards