This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Plugging a Laptop Drive into a Desktop Computer

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was wondering if some of you could help me. I am trying to get a laptop 2.5" drive to work in my desktop computer (in order to recover the information from it) with a converter I bought, but am getting nowhere. laptop HDD with converter attached img.photobucket.com/albu…/Picture-001.jpg All the spare space available in my box img.photobucket.com/albu…/Picture-002.jpg I've got a mix of drives in my computer, a SATA as a primary slave, and an IDE as the 4th master. I was wondering if anyone had any idea why my computer is not detecting the laptop 2.5" when I plug it in - is there likely to be a jumper issue?
Very likely a "jumper" situation does exist. You should try the adapted laptop drive as Slave or possibly Cable Select on one of the IDE channels. Trying out the settings is the best way to figure out which works. Try Slave first. Be sure to connect the adapted laptop HD to the "middle" connector on the IDE ribbon/cable. Keep us posted with your progress. Best Regards, (Don't know if it would help, but the image file links in your post aren't working.)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI