The "size on disk" 460mb and "size on CD" 475mb <—- is right
The size on "sick" machine
i386 folder on sick PC
size: 1.27GB <—– not correct for i386
size on disk: 1.29GB <—– Not correct for i386
What "disk" are you using that shows an i386 Folder size of 1.29GB?
OK. Then it's probably correct and I am out-to-lunch, or have just learned something new.
Could be that all the critical updates and patches have also been saved in that location, though I had thought that they usually saved in C:\windows\dllcache
(note: I just booted up a Dell laptop WinXP Pro and the i386 Folder is very close to your 1.29gb)
So, using that i386 Folder in the performance of SFC, we need to be sure that Registry is pointing the SFC utility to the correct location.
The following Registry keys are pointing to C:\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ServicePackSourcePath
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SourcePath
probably of no relevance, but the following keys are not present:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Windows File Protection
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SFCShowProgress
The solution was to delete UpperFilters and LowerFilters from the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control>Class>{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
the caution being to *only* delete those values and not the .bak values that have the same prefix.