This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

HP Deskjet won't print from Word

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My printer prints well generally but now I want to print something from Word it just rolls through 2 sheets of paper with no text. What could be the problem do you think? There used to be an Epson installed but I removed that from my sytem. Thankyou.
Hi Ax Yes you are absolutely correct…the HP 3745 to exact…how did you know? I can see I am in for trouble. Thanks for the link…will let you know what happens. Belinda
Belinda,

Yes you are absolutely correct…the HP 3745 to exact…how did you know?

I helped you in a previous thread and your PC PitStop TechExpress Link shows the installed hardware ;).

I look forward to hearing your results,

Ax
Ah sneaky…I tried all the steps in the troubleshooter…I now have a guy from HP helping me via email…he suspects it is Word, not the printer…we will soon find out. Belinda
Hi Ax Yeah well apparantly it is MS Word which I have to uninstall and reinstall. Problem is I dont have the disc so that is that I suppose unless you have any suggestions. Thankyou. Belinda
We might still have some options. Make sure you are out of Microsoft Word. Go to Start|Search and click All files and folders. Scroll down the left pane and make sure "Search hidden files and folders" is checked. Search for the filename: normal.dot Delete all instances of this file.

Tell me if this helps,

Ax
Only Word files called 'Normal', not 'normal.dot'…is this them? There are 2…one kind of ghosty. Actually the printer printed another Word document (from the last page first (if this is normal)) but at least it printed it. I then tried to print the document I really need but no luck again.
Yes they would be called "Normal" if you don't have extensions viewable. In the Type it should say "Microsoft Word Template", but it appears you have found the correct file(s) to delete.
Good to hear Belinda, I'm glad that resolved your issue. There are certain print settings that can cause Microsoft Word to print like that. These settings, as well as other default document settings, are stored in a template document called "Normal.dot". When you delete this document, Word will then create a new one when you run the program. This new one has all the settings reset to default, usually a good place to start when troubleshooting these types of issues. Regards, Ax

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI