Hi,
I am running a windows XP (MCE 2005) on an ACER Aspire 5610 series (Centrino duo core 1.6 mhz, I g memory & 80 G HD. with IE7.there is NO spyware, There are No viruses. (have spybot, adaware, windows defender, Panda internet security , all up to date and reporting nothing.)
Its about a month old, and windows now takes 5 minutes to load ! I have attached the windows logon file . Help gratefully received. Windows loads ok in safe mode.
It may be good for us to see what kind of programs are loaded when Windows is started. The file you attached only shows the drivers.
What I'd like you to do, in order to see what things may be loading up on your system at boot time, is to run the PC PitStop Full Tests and post a TechExpress Link here.
Please follow the tips in the Customized Tune-up Tips section of your test results and then run another test and post back a new TechExpress Link. Please also tell us how your system is doing. Also, do you defragment your hard drive(s) regularly?
Hi,
this is the repeat scan http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=NKGWFWZQVQWSCQKJ
My computer has been fine once windows has loaded. The problem is the slow loading, as if somethings are not loading properly or are delayed. Once windows has loaded it all works fine !!
Jimmi
Hi,
Thanks,
there are differences, for one Ive reduced the IE browser cache size to 100mb from the previous 300+, though it does not seem to register on the retest. I dont think running the computer via the mains while the battery is in, is the problem .I did not adjust the receive buffer size, as it is not a problem, and I believe it involves meddling in the registry.
None of the minor problems pitstop detects relate to Windows loading.
The laptop is 3 weeks old. I have defragmented once, but I dont see this being the problem in a 3 week old computer. Besides ,once it has loaded twindows, the computer works fine, both with installed programs and on the internet.
I went in to MS config, and set it to boot in diagnotic mode, and it loaded windows rapidly !!!!
Once I allowed all the starup programs to load again the problem reoccured. I believe its one of the programs that load on startup that is causing the problem, but I am not able to identify it.
Any ideas there ?
Jimmi
I realized the Tune-up Tips may not have resolved your issue, but it's a good place to start if nothing more. You seem to have quite a few processes running during the test. After looking at your PC PitStop test results, my initial thought was the startup programs, which you have confirmed in your last post. I like to be methodical when it comes to problem-solving.
Let's get together a list of everything that starts up with your computer. Download Autoruns and extract it to a folder. Run the program and choose Options|Hide Microsoft Entries. Choose File|Save and save the file to the desktop as AutoRuns.txt (default). Attach the file to this thread and we will continue working.
We'll take this little by little. After you complete the following steps, I'd like you to restart and tell me how your system is operating.
In Autoruns, uncheck the following:
Under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:
igfxhkcmd
igfxpers
igfxtray
LogitechVideo[inspector]
LVCOMSX
If you don't use the Microsoft Input Method Editor (East Asian text input enhancer), also uncheck the following:
IMJPMIG8.1
MSPY2002
PHIME2002A
PHIME2002ASync
Under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:
MSMSGS
Under HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components:
0
1
Under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar:
eDStoolbar.dll
Right-click My Computer, selecting Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on the Settings button in 'Startup and Recovery'. In the bottom pane - under 'Write debugging information' - click on the down arrow and then select 'None' - OK your way out.
Delete everything in the Start|All Programs|Startup folder.
If you don't switch between different languages, do the following:
Go to Start|Run, type intl.cpl and press Enter
Click the Languages tab
Click the Details button
Click the Advanced tab and check "Turn off advanced text services"
OK out
Following the above steps will make sure unnecessary things don't load at startup.
If you see no improvement, you can go back to Autoruns and uncheck any/all of the following (click links for details):
Under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:
The above items can be disabled because they aren't system critical, but it is up to the user's preference. If you do disable these, you can always re-enable them later if you find disabling them produces problems.
Hi Ax,
I tried all you suggested for the first lot of changes, on autoscan & via my computer & start…., but on restarting, windows took 9 (nine minutes to load). I noticed the missing Panda internet security files on autoscan, which 'could not be found.' I went to the Panda web site and repaired my Panda installation, and low and behold ,windows loaded in about a minute !!!!. It seems it was missing loading files on Panda internet security causing the problem.
Thanks for all the help. It has furthered my compter 'education', and introduced me to the autoscan program which is very good.
Thanks again
Jimmi
Glad you were able to resolve the issue. Autoruns is definitely a good utility to have, but it needs to be used with care, as changing the wrong things could make the system inoperable. Well done Jimmi!
Regards,
Ax
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI