Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

nelclaret

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nelclaret

nelclaret

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:11 AM

Sorry that this is not a solution but just to let you know I have had this problem on and off for about 6 months and, this morning, my Speedtouch link has also been disconnecting like mad.

I can live with the odd disconnection as my link always reconnects after about 4-6 redial attempts. However, if its going to be persistent like this I would also be interested in a solution (I heard from the Broadband supplier about the lack of power to the modem but that doesn't mean much to me). My problem started when the broadband rate was upgraded to 5.1 mps by the supplier.

Include me in on this one, Mr Coyote.

Nelclaret

my previous post about this:

http://forums.tomcoy...=disconnections

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:22 PM

Hi, Sorry to hear that you are still having problems with random disconnects. Having looked at your previous posts Dough has given you his customary excellent advice and I don't think therefore, your connection settings are causing the problem. I have set up one of my machines with a Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem to try and mimic your set up and can confirm that whilst connected and downloading/uploading the left hand USB LED will dim from time to time, so I don't think this is likely to be the problem either. The things to check: 1 You say in the previous thread that your phone socket is in one room and your ADSL Speedtouch Modem is in another. Presumably therefore you have a long wire running from the phone socket to your modem? 2 If this wire and any intermediate connector is not the original high quality, low loss, wire provided by the Modem Manufacturer as being specifically suitable for an ADSL connection (an ordinary phone wire extender is NOT suitable) then this could be the problem. 3 Take your computer and modem to the phone point, connect the modem directly to the phone socket via your ADSL filter, with your telephone plugged into the second port of your filter (if available) make sure your Modem is inserted directly to a USB port at the back of your computer(do not use a hub or a front port) and see if the problem goes away, if it does then you either need to move your computer permanently or have the phone company fit the appropriate ADSL compatible cable and socket to the other room.( Note if you use a slitter for a second phone you will need a further ADSL filter) 4 If you still have problems it's most likely the line quality and here again you will need to contact your phone company to check out the line. 5 When your modem disconnects and you get an error message on screen, the right hand (Green ADSL Modem LED ) will most likely change from solid green (continuous) to flashing (intermittent) this indicates that the Modem has not been able to "Authenticate" and you will not be able to get an Internet connection until Authentication is complete and both LED's are solid green (continuous) 6 The fact that you are getting "no dial tone" messages is a good indication that it is a line problem as set out above. Your current fast Broadband puts a high demand on line quality that probably could cope satisfactorily with a slower speed and this is why the problems coincided with the upgrade in speed. Regards paws

Edited by paws, 16 February 2007 - 12:33 PM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 nelclaret

nelclaret

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:33 PM

Paws Thank you sir, for your advice. To respond to your points: 1) You are correct in that I have a long cable as you describe. 2) It is ordinary 'phone extension wire (I didn't know there was a difference). However this worked fine for 12 months with no problem until the broadband speed was upgraded. 3) I understand the logic of this test but unfortunately it is physically impossible to do this for me at this location (the phone socket is in a very small hallway that cannot accomodate my PC). 4) I have been meaning to get a line test for some time and I will do so as soon as I can. 5) Don't laugh but my modem is obscured from view in my current set up! I will take a look when the next disconnection occurs to see what is happening to the lights. 6) Hopefully a line check might reveal this as at 4) above. I was wondering whether a better modem might help (as per another thread on this site). The modem I have was supplied free by the broadband provider and worked fine at the lower speed. The other thing is - and this may be the ultimate stupid question! - I was quite happy with the lower speed and no disconnection problem. Is there any feasible way of 'turning the clock back' so that I have the old speed but no disconnection problem? Just a stray thought! Again, thank you for your time. Nelclaret.

Edited by nelclaret, 16 February 2007 - 03:36 PM.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:22 PM

Hi, I understand. I'm not sure how your ISP will repond to a "downgrade request" on speed.... I bet there is nothing in their training manual to cover that!! they will only have "how to deal with the customer who wants an upgrade"!! How ever give it a go and see what they say! If you are using ordinary phone cable extender and not ADSL compatible, this is very bad practice and you should consider seeking recompense from whoever fitted it all for you (for a broadband connection) as they didn't do their job properly! I think the two approaches both needing the assistance of your phone company is the next step 1 to use the proper cable /socket and connector 2 Line quality check A different modem may work with your present set up, its your call ,but consider borrowing one frst. Hope you get sorted and post back when you have checked out those Green LED's Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:45 PM

Hello nelclaret and paws,

Please pardon my intrusion at this point. :)

I have recently dealt with two similar situations for customers where all either customer did (the change that led to the problem), was to physically relocate the computer from one room to the next. (no long cables involved, and no change of ISP service) (The ISP in both cases is AT&T with domains of @sbcglobal.net) (one modem was 2wire USB connected and the other was SpeedStream ethernet CAT6 connected)

The computer(s) initially functioned well, with ordinary connection to the internet, followed by "slowing" of internet responsivity, then slowing of connection sequence, then failed connection.
Interestingly, the computers continued to fail to establish internet connectivity, even when the customer(s) decided to move their machine(s) back to the original location. <-- at that point, I was called.

I pursued the same advice that I offered to you in my prior post (ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew) and "repair connection", as well as the additional - [Cmd – netsh winsock reset] and [Winsockfix XP <--the utility] And, of course, I checked to confirm that all Telephones were properly "filtered". But Alas, to no benefit. :(

In both cases, the Network Adaptor (one was RealTek, the other was D-Link) reported "working properly" in Control Panel. In one case Network Connections displayed "Limited or No Connection", but displayed connection speed "Connected at 100.0 Mbps" <--hmmm? The other was a Win98 machine and did not have options to display all of the above information, but had the same symptoms.

All of the above steps "presume" that the problem is with configuration that resides in the Computer.

I had taken a "known-good" dsl-modem with me to both residences. In both cases, my known-good" modem remedied the problem, restoring the expected DSL connectivity!

Therefore, faulty Modem hardware??? I was not willing to accept that, nor to put the customer to the expense and wait in obtaining a new Modem.

Diagnosis and Solution:

Dx: In both cases, the Modem(s) itself had lost "configuration".

Rx: Run the Modem's name-branded "Advanced Modem Configuration Utility".

In "most" cases, the DSL Modem will have a yellow sticker on the bottom of the modem itself.
That sticker will display a URL for "Advanced Modem Configuration" and a multi-digit alpha-numeric "Modem Access Code".

The URL is a "dummie" that does not require "live internet connection". It just communicates between the Computer and the Modem, in order to correctly "configure" and "register" the Modem.

For example:
SpeedStream DSL Modems use http://192.168.0.1 to access a dummie page to configure the Modem using On-Screen provided prompts.
2Wire ADSL USB Modems use: http://192.168.1.254/setup to configure the Modem using On-Screen provided prompts.

In either case, the owner/user may have to "supply' the Modem Access Code, from the printed sticker on the bottom of the Modem. The owner/user will also have to type in the correct "username" and "password" that was assigned when the owner/user received the subscribed DSL service and equipment. (usually your original ISP-based email address and password) (note: if the owner/user has changed the username/password information, then the newer information prevails)

You should be able to "reconfigure" your Modem, and quite possibly solve your present situation by accessing your Modem's Advanced Modem Configuration Utility as described above, then follow the on-screen prompts.

Note: Each "brand-name" of DSL Modem may use its own URL to access the Advanced Modem Configuration.
Note: Each DSL Modem has a unique Modem Access Code.

Note: If you do not find the necessary "sticker(s)" on the bottom of your DSL Modem, you can call your ISP tech assistance, ask for "connection problem" to get a tech.

The above, restored the problematic Modems in both of the above situations.
Hope this information assists you as well.

In your case, the "change" may have been "upgrading" the bandwidth. Subsequently, the original Modem configuration may have been sufficient for a while, but then degraded, or required "re-registration". It might not even have been anything to do with your machine and modem, but a change at the ISP. For instance, when they initially offered the "upgrade" they may have incorporated all old customers into the upgrade without need to "re-register" the Modem for the higher speed. Then later as they acquired more and more customers upgrading to the higher bandwidth, they may have installed their own upgraded modems at their end at the office site, and began treating all "upgrades" as "new", therefore requiring configuration and registration.
I'll bet the ISP techies have had a batch of similar problem calls. ..... or not.

Best Regards

Edit: Extra "advicy" recommendation. Some folks, facing this similar situation just resort to popping in the DSL installation CD that comes with the subscription and equipment. Doing so, "may" resolve the problem, but you will most likely be required to walk through the Advanced Modem Configuration anyway, as part of the CD driven installation protocol.

The "down-side" is that the CD installation protocol will attempt to give you a new version of IE and "will" install other "bloatware" including Efficient Networks Enternet300 and EnterNet Folder and EnterNet.exe, and probably Yahoo Browser Bloat and Toolbar, and some additional gimics and special offers.

My "advicy" recommendation: To keep your Machine lean, clean and well functioning, stick with the "Advanced Modem Configuration" and skip the bloatware from the CD. :)

Edited by dough, 16 February 2007 - 10:14 PM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#6 nelclaret

nelclaret

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:14 PM

Dough & Paws Just to update you. Whisper it quietly...I have had about a week clear of random Internet disconnects! :) Maybe a line problem that has cleared or not, who knows. At present I am therefore doing an Ostrich impression and hoping for the best. If/When I get them again I will look into your ideas. Thanks for the help to date. Nelclaret

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:36 PM

Hey, That really is good news. I know that Dough will be as delighted as I am when he hears your news. I hope that whatever happened continues to do so. Regards paws