This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows XP windows messenger - Remote assistance will not connect

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Remote assistance will not connect. Instant Messenging is connected and working fine. Voice connected too. Remote assistance request was sent and received. Receiver of request accepted request and sender received message that remote access accepted and now waiting for connection. Then the person that initiated message received notice: "remote assistance could not be established because the remote host name could not be resolved." Any help appreciated. Thanks very much!! Gene
Q: How to fix the error "Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote host name could not be resolved"?

A: When you receive an invitation from an Internet user whose computer is behind a router or firewall, the IP sent to you is the private IP behind the router or firewall. So that you can't access the computer. To fix this issue, 1) edit the invitation IP address and also make sure the port 3389 is open. 2) Use Windows/MSN Messenger to establish the Remote Assistance session. 3) make sure the port 3389 is forwarded to the remote computer.

source:

http://www.chicagotech.net/rdesktop.htm

This page may also be of interest:

How to modify the remote Assistance Invitation:
http://www.howtonetworking.com/RemoteAcces…assistance1.htm
bizarrebob, thanks very much for the references. I have been reading those and other google info for the past few hours but it is just beyond me to implement the directions, I think. Maybe you have dealt with this and can guide me. I have accessed my linksys router (which both of us have) but can't figure out where to "allow" port 3389. I looked in Administration and access restrictions and others but don't know how to proceed. Also I don't know how to edit the invitation address. Again maybe you could guide me. I read several times the lenghty directions but seem lost. While reading one of the references it had a link to see what my IP address is but it came back blank. Any ideas in that regard. Now if I ever figure this out and when we are finished with remote assistance should I reset the port as closed for protection? Anything else to change for protection? Maybe I am asking too much and if so I want to thank you for the guidance you have already provided Thanks much Gene
I'm afraid all i did was google it. I am sorry to say i can't help much further. I will have to pass this on and see if anyone else can be of assistance. I don't think i've had this problem? The only thing i can think of is: You said you're using Windows Messenger. Is it the latest one? Make you both have the latest version. Maybe it's a compatability issue here. Sorry i cannot be of more help. Good luck.
A "workaround" that will satisfy your intention is the excellent (free) version of LogMeIn. Both computers must have it installed. Best Regards
How do I change administrative "privileges"? Where are they? What privilege do you think I need to change from the info below? my computer (actually two different computers) will not allow me to complete installation of the LOGMEIN software. It downloads and runs just fine but near the end of the install phase I get the notice: error 1920 service logmein engine maintenance service (lmimaint) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services) I have administrator privileges but don't know what to do. There is only one profile to log in so no other user such as admin to sign in…that I know of or can find. Both computers have been able to install other downloaded programs. I have spent many many hours reading and searching but can’t find specific directions. I’ve read dozens of google’s about the exact same notice but without “how to” guidance. Many just say change your privileges or something like that. But I have no idea how to get to them. Thank You Gene

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI