This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cannot Uninstall Adobe Reader Or Update

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 7:39:52 AM, on 7/31/2007 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16473) Started just recently noticing when trying to open pdf files in IE7, it caused IE to shut down. The description is "Add on: Acro PDF.dll, Adobe Reader, PDF Browser Control." I've since tried everything including spending 2 hours on the phone with tech. support (HP)….totally useless. I've tried disabling in IE, Tools, Manage Ad Ons this and it still doesn't correct anything. I can't remove adobe reader in control panel or do an update through adobe's site. As well I've installed cc cleaner and the microsoft utility cleanup programs, hoping to be able to delete this way but cannot. I am totally stuck here. I've as deleted acrobat and anything related with adobe but still to no avail. As well, I tried disabling all startup programs in msconfig and followed the recommendations on the adobe site and still………nothing works. Here's what comes up in control panel when trying to remove the program: Error 1714. The older version of Adobe Reader 8 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group. When I try to remove the application so that I can download it again and start over I get the following message: This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package. When I browse to the Installer File to try to run setup again I get the following message: Wrong OS or OS version for application. I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a HP Pavillion. I want to remove the program and reistall newer version. I now have adobe 7.1 but control panel is indicating I'm using 8. I'm at a total loss! Thank you in advance for any help and direction you provide to me. Sandra
Your use of the word "Delete" causes some concern.
Applications like Adobe should be "uninstalled" so as to remove as much of the application as possible.
I realize that you may have attempted to "uninstall" before resorting to "Delete".

Applications tend to embed their executable and connective protocols fairly deeply into the operating system.
Therefore, a simple "delete" of an application "folder" may leave scads of remnants which may continue to cause problems to the user, even after the user believes that the application is gone by "delete".

OK, you probably knew that, and tried anyway?
___________

In your C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\
and Your C:\Windows\Installations\

You may have the original installation files for your current/previous version of Adobe.
If it/they have become corrupted, it/they could be causing the problem you presently are experiencing.

In this case, you can "safely delete" any items in your:
In your C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\ <– if you find sub-folder with name: Adobe (only the adobe named sub-folder, not the C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\ portion and not "other named applications)
and Your C:\Windows\Installations\ <– <– if you find sub-folder with name: Adobe (only the adobe named sub-folder, not the C:\Windows\installations\ portion, and not "other named applications".)

You may additionally benefit from changes in the Registry.
*** Important! Backup your current Registry, using Regedit - File - Export - Save
If you are not familiar or comfortable with Backing up your Registry - Stop right now! and do not complete these recommended instructions.
___

If you have backed up your registry, you may safely do the following:

Using Regedit, navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe
You may "delete" the entire Folder of Adobe being careful to only delete the Adobe Folder and no others, and not the preceding "Software" parent folder

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adobe
You may "delete" the entire Folder of Adobe being careful to only delete the Adobe Folder and no others, and not the preceding "Software" parent folder


*** If you are not familiar or comfortable working in your Registry, please consider taking your machine to a qualified tech shop or consultant.
________

Next:
Download the version of Adobe that you wish to use, and install it.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI