This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Packet Loss

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been plagued with packet loss for awhile now, but to be honest I can't possibly understand why. I purchased a Wireless N router and have a 300 mbps connection. For the first 2 to 3 weeks I experienced no packet loss what so ever, everything was peachy, but that all changed and now I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. I've scanned my computer with numerous spyware programs, swept it with my anti virus "kaspersky," and tried numerous online scanners to no avail. Granted I discovered some viruses and spyware, but I still experience packet loss. Any way, I just thought I'd give this a try, maybe you guys can see something I don't.


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:49:52 PM, on 1/23/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\avp.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\avp.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SSU.EXE
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WN121T\wn121t.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 80.108.140.221:6588
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVP] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\avp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: NETGEAR WN121T Smart Wizard.lnk = C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WN121T\wn121t.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Web Anti-Virus - {1F460357-8A94-4D71-9CA3-AA4ACF32ED8E} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\scieplugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/eng/partner/d…can_unicode.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} (FilePlanet Download Control Class) - http://www.fileplanet.com/fpdlmgr/cabs/FPDC_1_0_0_44.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1129508341678
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {82F2D6B2-6C58-4404-A930-9DB0FD90D4B1} (Driver_Detective_v43_Non_Member.DD_v43) - http://www.drivershq.com/cab/prod/Driver_D…_Non_Member.CAB
O16 - DPF: {9D190AE6-C81E-4039-8061-978EBAD10073} (F-Secure Online Scanner 3.0) - http://support.f-secure.com/ols/fscax.cab
O16 - DPF: {BB21F850-63F4-4EC9-BF9D-565BD30C9AE9} (a-squared Scanner) - http://ax.emsisoft.com/asquared.cab
O16 - DPF: {C81B5180-AFD1-41A3-97E1-99E8D254DB98} (CSS Web Installer Class) - http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/onlinev…cabs/cssweb.cab
O16 - DPF: {E87F6C8E-16C0-11D3-BEF7-009027438003} (Persits Software XUpload) - http://www.streamload.com/Upload/XUpload.ocx
O16 - DPF: {ED28050F-D713-43BA-A376-DCC5C35407D5} (MsnMusicAx Class) - https://music.msn.com/client/msnmusax2219.cab
O16 - DPF: {FE0BD779-44EE-4A4B-AA2E-743C63F2E5E6} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://pdl.stream.aol.com/downloads/aol/unagi/ampx_en_dl.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: klogon - C:\WINDOWS\system32\klogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 (AVP) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\avp.exe" -r (file missing)
O23 - Service: C-DillaCdaC11BA - Macrovision - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\CDAC11BA.EXE
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
hi hairytick, dont see much in the log as far as malware goes. what are you calling packet loss and how are you measuring it? i see you use a proxy which could certainly degrade performance.

hi hairytick,

dont see much in the log as far as malware goes. what are you calling packet loss and how are you measuring it? i see you use a proxy which could certainly degrade performance.



Thanks for your reply. About the proxy server thing, that a mystery to me. I wasnt aware that I was even connected via proxy. The only thing I know about proxy servers is how to setup internet explorer to work via proxy. Perhaps you could explain to me how to reconfigure my internet settings. Also, I discovered my packet loss playing an online game. I get booted from every server I connect to because of "packet loss." Someone recommended that I use the trace program that came with the game, so I did and here are the results. Perhaps you could help me make sense of them because I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to stuff like this.


Tracing Zone: SSCU Trench Wars IP Address: 66.36.241.110

Hop IP Address Host Name Loss(%) Min/Avg/Max Ping
— ————— ——————————– ——- —————-
1 192.168.1.1 28.5 0 40 170
2 10.50.96.1 42.8 0 10 10
3 [removed] ge5-2-nycmny1-rtr1.si.rr.com 16.6 0 20 70
4 [removed] pos1-0-nycmnya-rtr2.nyc.rr.com 16.6 0 40 120
5 [removed] tenge-3-0-0.nycsnyoo-rtr1.nyc.rr 16.6 0 10 20
6 [removed] te-3-1.car3.NewYork1.Level3.net 33.3 0 50 200
7 [removed] ae-1-55.bbr1.NewYork1.Level3.net 16.6 0 10 10
8 [removed] as-3-0.bbr2.Washington1.Level3.n 16.6 10 10 10
9 [removed] ae-22-54.car2.Washington1.Level3 16.6 10 60 140
10 [removed] ge6-2.core1.dca2.hopone.net 83.3 10 10 10
11 … … 0.0 1000000 0 0
12 [removed] sls-cb9p7.dca2.superb.net 33.3 10 40 120

Cycles: 7
hi hairytick,

I wasnt aware that I was even connected via proxy
iam going by this line in the log:
ProxyServer = 80.108.140.221:6588

if you didnt set up internet explorer to use it then check here:
with IE open tool>internet options>connections>LAN settings
make sure the box for use a proxy is not checked.
——————————————
scan with HJT, put a checkmark beside the items below, close all windows and click fix checked.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 80.108.140.221:6588

and this one only if some software didnt add it for securtiy reasons:


O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
———————————————
diagnosing packet loss is really beyond the scope of this forum

theres really not much a user can do other than some minor tweaks on there computer. you said it did work fine at one time.
alot of packet loss can be network related along the internet trunks and everywhere in between.
you should call your isp and tell them, they can run diagnostics from there end.
dslreports has a line quality testing tool, where the route is checked between them and you, have to register to use that one.

do a search for ping plotter. they have a free version that can test routes to servers of your choice, displays nice graphical information.
they also have very good documentation/FAQ and a forum at the website for help in interpeting the results you see.
start with your isp, roadrunner

those results you posted are just the hops your packets take thru routers to there destination, its missing data, the % loss, what % of packets that didnt make it to the destination. if its occuring "out there" theres really not much you can do about it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI