I have a laptop that I got with windows 2000 on it, and recently I bought XP PRO to put on it. So I did my usual and popped it in, booted, formatted the HD, etc. The problem is that it hangs with 7 or 8 minutes left to install. I put the HD in another laptop I have and tried the same process and it worked no problem, installed as normal. So when I popped it back in the Fujitsu it started freezing after the BIOS just before the Windows logo.
I can't get into safe mode either as it just freezes when all that code comes up. I ran a RAM check and it seems to be OK, I'm doing a Fujitsu diagnostic on the HD as we speak, but I couldn't see it being the problem (its on 20% so far), as it worked in a Dell laptop I have. Anyone experienced anything similar?
^^ thanks man but I have just seen some of these models with XP on them, it is a LIFEBOOK C1020 if that helps anyone.
And I went by the book according to the pre-installation checklist
thanks, all suggestions welcome
I found this link http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/24739, done what it said and it installed right up until the 4th minute this time! Progress! I only did the sound, video, LAN, 56k and wireless driver, I think I am going to attempt this with all the drivers installed and will report back
I only did the sound, video, LAN, 56k and wireless driver
…?? Ok I guess I dont understand. What do you mean you only did the sound, video..etc drivers…? You need to do a vanilla install. Meaning, fresh install. Take everything out but the minimum. In other words, no extra ram or cards of any sort.. Just one stick of ram (or 2 if you have to have 2 to make 256mb)and everything thats integrated. You wont have ANY drivers installed…thats where your throwing me.
A Cyclic Redundancy error is one that you usually see from a burned cd/r r/w. Usually its because its get hung on one small bit of data kinda like a record skipping, figuratively speaking.
I mean I put them in with my custom install, as is instructed in that link I posted!
And no I havent got that error, it is an original brand new Pro SP2 disc. There is deinately nothing wrong with the disc, I actualy tried another copied sp2 one I have here too.
Like I said I completely formatted the disc (deleted the whole Windows 2000 OS), I have tried it with different RAM, pulled out all the cards, etc. Im really getting stuck
Ok I visited the link you posted. Slipstreaming your installation, while cool to do, will not help you or hurt you in any way on the basis of the problem at hand. Barts PE is bar none THE best tool in the world, always will be. However, your not installing over a network (are you?) and in order for you to slipstream drivers you need to make an install cd. Then again, you have a copy of XP with sp2…theres no need to slipstream anything. Not to mention that your laptop originally came Windows 2000 on it so an XP build pre-service pack is WAY up to date for that laptop. If I were you, I would get me a build of XP thats pre-SP2, the reason being is that SP2 does NOT play well with 16-bit installers and i will bet you that ends up to the be problem.
No I am not installing this over a network, I just used the nLite bit to preinstall drivers to see. This is messed up… there is a designed for Windows XP sticker on it. Jeez well they won't take my copy of XP back to the shop. I will see if I can find a version from somewheres….
Could you elaborate on the 16bit installer thing for future reference? Does sp2 have a 32bit installer?
Thanks man I really appreciate your help
Its all good dood…
Most applications use (did use) 16-bit installers. For instance, Adobe Photoshop 7 uses a 16-bit installer and was pure-d he77 to install when they first released SP2. Drivers are no different. Heres what I suggest you try. First and foremost, make sure all the fans are blowing from inside the laptop. Grab the vaccum and clean the airways for the fans to make sure its not overheating on you. Then boot up to BIOS and reset it back to its default settings (not optimal, or anything else… just plain old default). Then put your cd in and reboot. Run setup and install as you have prior to this.. in a DOS environment. Follow instructions to install fresh copy of XP of course. When you get to the partitioning section. "D"elete the current partition, "C"reate a new partition then press "E"nter to install XP on the newly created partition. When it asks to format… do the FULL NTFS format.. dont choose the quick one. Then, and this is an old Gateway trick and will prolly drive you up the wall but…after it formats and restarts…keep your finger on the mouse pad drawing imaginary 8's for as long you can….
(I know that you are aware of the installation process in a DOS environment. I only itemized it JUST IN CASE you were missing something simple. God knows that happens to everyone and some times the more you try the more you miss… its always good to have a fresh set of eyes around when that happens)
Well after I flashed the BIOS it just seemed to work, not sure…. I put it onto default settings. Either way it worked this time and its installed so I am not gona complain anymore. Many thanks for your help guys, especialy Crow. This can be closed thanks.