This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

No desktop image (locked to none), red x in taskbar

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Had Pesttrap get on my computer somehow, ran a lot of spyware programs trying to get rid of it, seems as though I've had no luck. When Windows begins booting, the desktop shows for a little bit, then once the icons appear, it goes to the default color. All desktop images are "blocked" and I cannot select any of them. If I set the desktop image from internet explorer, it still doesn't work. Pressing ctrl+alt+delete brings up the desktop image, but once I click on task manager it once again disappears when coming back to windows. Lower right hand corner has the well known red circle with white X in it telling me that my computer is infected, cannot get rid of it at all. Computer also making internet explorer "popup" sound constantly. Red X doesn't appear until windows has been running for a few minutes. Hijackthis log immediately after boot: Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 10:09:42 AM, on 1/18/2007 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\HijackThis.exe O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll O8 - Extra context menu item: Send To &Bluetooth - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-4017 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{4A27027D-9371-47B2-A07A-1B5CC3A6F3B3}: NameServer = 192.168.1.1,192.168.1.2 O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing) O18 - Protocol: widimg - {EE7C2AFF-5742-44FF-BD0E-E521B0D3C3BA} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\btxppanel.dll O20 - Winlogon Notify: LBTServ - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\Bluetooth\lbtserv.dll O23 - Service: Autodesk Licensing Service - Autodesk - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe Hijackthis log after about 5 minutes: Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 10:39:30 AM, on 1/18/2007 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\30881.exe C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\HijackThis.exe O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows installer] C:\winstall.exe O8 - Extra context menu item: Send To &Bluetooth - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-4017 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{4A27027D-9371-47B2-A07A-1B5CC3A6F3B3}: NameServer = 192.168.1.1,192.168.1.2 O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing) O18 - Protocol: widimg - {EE7C2AFF-5742-44FF-BD0E-E521B0D3C3BA} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\btxppanel.dll O20 - Winlogon Notify: LBTServ - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\Bluetooth\lbtserv.dll O23 - Service: Autodesk Licensing Service - Autodesk - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe HELP! :(
dtschorn :D


Welcome to Tom Coyote

It looks like your infected with Smitfraud I would like you to do a couple of things.

I looks like you ran HJT in Safemode as it appears to be real lean, if you did, make sure your next scan is run in normal windows, also we need to move it to its own folder for backup purposes.


1.
Hijackthis 1.99.1
Its important that Hijackthis is installed in its own permanent folder for backup purposes.
  • Go to where you currently have HJT installed and delete the whole folder.
  • Use the link above or the links in my signature to download HJT 1.99.1 setup to your desktop
  • Double Click on the Setup icon and by defaut it will unzip to C:\Program Files\Hijackthis
  • Open HJT Scan and Save a Log File, it will open in Notepad
  • Go to Edit> Select All…..Edit > Copy and Paste the new log into this thread.
  • Please use the [external image: Posted Image] Button and not the New Topic Button
DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.




2.

Please download SmitfraudFix
Extract the content (a folder named SmitfraudFix) to your Desktop.

Open the SmitfraudFix folder and double-click smitfraudfix.cmd
Select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press "Enter"; a text file will appear, which lists infected files (if present).
Please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.

Just run Option #1
Thank you, the smitfraud fix got it together for me. The logfiles were both from a normal startup, I run a pretty lean system. Hopefully I can dodge problems for a while.
Here is the last hijackthis log, it looks like I cleaned it out. Unfortunately I didn't save the Smitfraud log. Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 3:03:56 PM, on 1/21/2007 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\HijackThis.exe O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{4A27027D-9371-47B2-A07A-1B5CC3A6F3B3}: NameServer = 192.168.1.1,192.168.1.2 O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing) O18 - Protocol: widimg - {EE7C2AFF-5742-44FF-BD0E-E521B0D3C3BA} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\btxppanel.dll O20 - Winlogon Notify: LBTServ - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\Bluetooth\lbtserv.dll O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll O23 - Service: Autodesk Licensing Service - Autodesk - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
Your log looks fine :thumbup: That is about the leanest log I have ever seen :D


How did I get infected in the first place ? Read these links and find out how to prevent getting infected again.
  • Tutorial for System Restore <– Do this first to prevent yourself from being reinfected.
  • Tom Coyote
  • TonyKlein CastleCops
  • Grinler BleepingComputer
  • Geeks To Go
  • Dslreports



Here are some free programs to install, don't leave home without them
  • Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4
    Check for Updates/ Immunize and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis.
  • Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06
    Check for Updates and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis.
  • Spyware Blaster It will prevent most spyware from ever being installed.
  • Spyware Guard It offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • Win Patrol This program will warn you when any changes are being made to your system and give you the option to deny the change.
  • IE-Spyad
    IE-Spyad places over 4000 web sites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • Firefox 2.0 It has more features and is a lot more secure than IE. It is a very easy and painless download and install, it will no way interfere with IE, you can use them both.
  • Zone Alarm Here is a free Firewall from Zone Labs, I wouldn't access the internet without it.
Thanks for stopping by Tom Coyote , I'm glad I was able to help you. :D
Thanks for the help Ken, if it wasn't for bluetooth and 3ds max I could keep it even leaner, but alas I'm stuck with a few stupid extra services. I have system restore disabled so unfortunately that solution won't work for me, I'm usually very careful, I'm not even sure how this happened. I have spybot and adaware but only run them when necessary and I use the trendmicro online scan (is this a decent scanner?). As you can see, I try to run everything very lean so a lot of the protection would just make me angry with the memory footprint in the background. If I run into more problems though, I guess I'll have to suck it up and install something! Thanks again for the help.
Your very welcome :thumbup:

FYI

System Restore makes regular backups of all your settings, if you ever had to use this program to restore your
system to a previous date, you will be infected all over again so we need to clean out the previous Restore Points

Turn off System Restore.
  • Right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the System Restore tab.
  • Check Turn off System Restore on all Drives.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.
Reboot your System

Turn ON System Restore.
  • Right-click My Computer.
  • ClickProperties.
  • Click the System Restore tab.
  • UN-Check Turn off System Restore on all Drives.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.
Create a new Restore Point <– Very Important
  • Go to Start/ Control Panel/ Performance and Maintenance/ System Restore/ Create a New Restore Point
    You can name the restore point anything you like, something that you can remember, You will have to be in Catagory View to see this
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI