This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

CD rom player not reading anymore

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

In the last few weeks I noticed my cd rom player TEAC DW-224E-A installed on my Toshiba Satellite A20 started having a problem. One night, when I shut my computer down, it told me that my drive was badly configurated. It started to read less CDs, then, it stopped reading CDs in the middle, then it refused to read most CDs and now it's not reading anything anymore (it seems as if it doesn't even know a CD has been inserted). I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the CD driver but nothing works. I don't know if it can have something to do with the problem but it became worse when I installed JetAudio. Can anyone suggest something. Thanks to all in advance.
sounds like your drive just died. is the drive listed in device manager? do you know if your drive is removable? Maybe its not making good contact in its bay. are you using the drivers off the toshiba website?
To answer your questions… The drive is original and is listed in device manager. I think a technician could open it but I have never done it myself. I am using the drivers from windows xp. Do you think I should look at the drivers on the toshiba website? The problem seems to be intermittent because this morning I was able to read a cd after a week of not being able to read anything. Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks!
some laptops have swappable drives. if you open the drive and gently pull it, it would come out. i was thinking maybe it was loose in the bay. your documentaion or toshiba web site could tell you if you had a swappable drive. my bad, actually there are very likely no cd drivers at the toshiba website. laptops might use "special" drivers but not for cd drives. stick with the native window drivers.
I have a similar problem and I was wondering, even if the drive is fixed and not swappable, is it possible that some parts could loosen up in there and cause these intermittent problems ???
yes its possible. drives have alot of mechanical moving parts in them. not to mention the power and IDE ribbon cable plugged into them.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI