Hardware
Toshiba Satellite 1805 CD drive isnt working
3 min read
strout99
Topic Starter
Hi,
I've got a Toshiba 1805 Series. When I open My Computer, the CD drive appears in the list. However, when I put a CD into the drive the light comes on, it spins, and that's about it. I can' t read from the drive via My Computer.
I was hoping to reinstall my OS, but need the CD drive to do this. I don't know if the CD drive is "cooked", or there's driver's missing.
I'm running Windows XP Home Edition 5.1 Build 2600, with SP1
Pentium 3, 1.1 Ghz, 240MB Ram, Direct X 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Thanks,
DaChew
Have you tried booting the reinstall disk? That's usually the quickest way to tell if the drive is worn out or not.
There would be no point in fixing filter driver conflicts or problems if you are getting ready to do a clean install of the OS.
strout99
Yes I've tried and the light comes on the disk and nothing happens
strout99
Yes I've tried .
I put a disk in, the light comes on; when I click on the drive thru My Computer, I get the error message
Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Window.
DaChew
a check list
1. bios is set to boot cd first
2. disk is inserted before computer is powered up
3. disk is bootable as confirmed in another computer
4. crosscheck with a factory made disk not a burned one?
laptop opticals should be babied, they don't hold up well under everyday use, games, music, videos, etc
if you have to order a replacement, make sure it's compatible, master/slave is set by firmware not jumpers on many models
strout99
Thanks, yes, to all 4 on the checklist. It is the bootable factory supplied disk (although I've tried other audio and software disks…none are readable)
So, I guess, I cooked it and need to get a new drive or a new laptop…………..
DaChew
the premium game cleaner disks have been known to work but they are expensive, I just use an air compressor at this point
strout99
I've tried the compressed air as well.
I'll call my local "geek" and have him look at it. Thanks!
Tiesenhausen
Hi, I found this thread searching Google for Toshiba S 1805 CD replacement. I have exactly the same problem, and I want to buy a CD drive and replace mine. I can't find the exact part number and I cannot confirm that the drives offered for Satellites are compatible with my S 1805. Only newer models are listed. strout99, how did your story end? Did you find the drive I'm looking for?
Tiesenhausen
strout99
Hi, I found this thread searching Google for Toshiba S 1805 CD replacement. I have exactly the same problem, and I want to buy a CD drive and replace mine. I can't find the exact part number and I cannot confirm that the drives offered for Satellites are compatible with my S 1805. Only newer models are listed. strout99, how did your story end? Did you find the drive I'm looking for?
Tiesenhausen
The computer guy blew dust into the drive…then, if I remember correctly , he spun the center thingie with his finger for about a minute. I'm trying to remember if he snapped a disk in and did that or not; sorry just can't remember, but it's working fine now and I'm happy.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI