This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

PC you need not suffer!

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Look in this folder C:\Windows\pss
See if there's a boot.ini backup.

Do not make any changes to boot.ini backup file.

If so, open that one with notepad, select Edit > Select All> edit> copy
Open another notepad: select Edit> Paste
Save this as C:\boot.ini

Close both notepad's.

Reboot and see if that worked.
Ok, that backup file was indeed there. It was in some other code (all i saw was a thick black block) but i still followed the directions. It did not work infact it seemed to turn into a question mark. Upon reboot (seeing the desktop) i got a Dr. Watson Postmortem Debugger has encountered and error sorry for the inconvenience. Should i retry copy/pasting that backup file (it asked me to say ok to something about ansi code which i accepted) and going into the msconfig boot.ini?
Well I think that means the backup is corrupt.

I'd put the other one back in:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Mine is like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn


You do have Microsoft Windows XP Professional right?
when i save that backup file, that message about ansi i was talking about is as follows… This file contains characters in Unicode forman which will b lost if you save this file as an ANSNI encoded text file. To keep the Unicode information click Cancel and select one of the Unicode options from the encoding drop down list.
Yes i use XP Pro and right clicked system to ensure thas still what it see's as well. However i was upgrading to IE7 and my copy isn't validated. I tried getting around that ANSI code by clicking the other option, cancel, and that doesn not work. I guess it's not really a huge problem. Really one of my olf computer techs upgraded my to XP and now it thinks I have no CD key…
If you open it with Notepad it should look something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn


Matter of fact try it like mine above.
Wow, yours worked perfectly! No more popup saying it cant boot correctly. and when i go into that msconfig, i see that same text in the window. Cool! :D
I'll tell you what, you really what your way around a computer! Thanks for all the help and recommendations! I will be getting help with "the dell" upstairs through my username on hijack this log files, DellfromHell. I will be recommending you to all my friends. Keep up the excellence. I have to ask before i leave, would you say Limewire is good or safe (enough) to use?
My understanding is the newest version is OK, but you can still get infected from the files / programs you download.

Here is the list on 'good and bad'P2P programs.
http://p2p.malwareremoval.com/

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI