This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Is your computer up to date?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Thank you kindly Unox. Yes the scan tool was very helpful. I had 14 application scanned and 4 of the were in need of updating. It also provided good info about the older Sun Java builds which were left over on my hard drive and it suggested that I could uninstall them- thereby freeing up hard drive space. Running a Registry Cleaner after my clean up proved beneficial.
Been a while since I posted here. Came today to change my e-mail address so decided to see what had been posted and ran across this. I just ran the scan and it said I have 10 unprotected items. Most of them are Java updates but I have the most current one. I don't think I need to update the ones that aren't new. Like 1.5.0.01, 1.5.1.02 and so on. This is what it said: Update Instructions: Update to 5.0 Update 10 or later. I have Jave 1.6 now and it said that one was fine and up-to-date. Do you think it is okay not to update the Java since I have the most current version out there??? It also said I needed the new version of Flash Player 9.0.28.0 but I already have that. Just did the test and it was successfully installed so that reading was wrong. Just have to update my ITunes and Quicktime. I don't really use them and so I keep forgetting aabout updating them. Will have to do this. What do you think about the Flash Player update and the Java Updates???
The one thing about the test is that it shows every version of the software on your system. This means that you can have the most up-to-date version, but still have a previous version on your system detected as well. Secunia's Software Advisor also lets you know where it found the items installed on your system, so you can remove previous versions of the software.

With Java, just go to Add/Remove Programs and remove all but the most up-to-date version (1.6/6). You can then go to the C: drive and C:\Program Files to delete any remnants of the previous versions.

As for Flash, you have to use the flash uninstaller utility, delete the C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed directory, then reinstall the most current version of Flash.

A registry cleaner would work well to top it off, as grummy suggested. I prefer using CCleaner.

Regards,

Ax
Thank you for responding to my post. I guess I have some cleaning up to do and some uninstalling and then reinstalling. Will have to wait till this weekend to do it but for now I know what to do. I always thought you had to keep all versions of Java but I guess I was wrong. Same thing with the Flash player. Oh well, live and learn new things each day…. :scratch:
You're welcome, I understand where you are coming from. When things aren't exactly spelled out to an average user, it leaves you with your own presumptions. It seems quite frequent the user still is required to clean up old installations. The other option is to have them overwritten/deleted but maybe some users wouldn't want this. I'm sure there's an argument for both methods, as it occurs so often. Regards, Ax