This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

web reader problem

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I certainly would appreciate any insight you can offer. A local radio station has a "web reader" program that downloads, upon startup of the program, mp3's versions of the morning show. This program will run perfectly in "safe mode" but not in windows normally. I believe there is some service running that is not allowing this to happen. I have Mcafee and Pareto Logic internet protections. The website to find the web reader program can be found at kqrs.com. I have been unsuccessful contacting them about this and as I wrote previously would appreciate any help. thanks
Well, I think you have given your own answer. One of the reasons that we caution folks about using Safe Mode with Networking, is that Security, including Windows Firewall is "disabled" in that Mode. And also in Safe Mode only. So your download works when your Security routines are disabled, and not when they are active. If you want to download the log, fine. Then "scan" it. Then disconnect from the internet to play it. Or carefully consider just how much safety you wish to compromise in order to play your media while online. Just because one of your security routines is alerting/blocking the play of your media, does not mean that the media is itself infected. But your security settings are alerting to something. Wonder what it is? You could consider "dumping" Paroto Logic. Is it Xoft that you are using? OK, it is supposedly no longer on the Rogue-Suspect list. But that doesn't make it an excellent utility. McAffee remains quite competent, though a huge resource hog. How do you have it configured? Want to consider an option for Paroto Logic? How about Spybot S & D, Ad-Aware SE, and AVG AntiSpyware 7.5 (used to be Ewido), and SpywareBlaster from JavaCoolSoftware. Install them. Update them. Use them, but consider not running the "real-time" protection of SpyBot S&D called TeaTimer. The AVG AntiSpyware can be downloaded (free) and will run "real time" for one month, after which you either buy the full version, or it reverts to manual update and scan only. I always use my AVG AntiSpyware as "manual only" since my machine is relatively low resource. Consider giving the above a try. Seriously. Let us know if that makes a difference for you. Best Regards
The thing is I am able to use the web reader at the office which also has the spybot resident program running constantly. I dont think it is the Pareto Logic program either. I am pretty sure it is either a setting in the "advanced" tab under "internet options" or the Mcafee. I guess what I am asking here is, is there something I need to "check" or "uncheck" to get this to work? Is there a way I can post what servies are running for you to review?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI