This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows XP reinstall

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Due to a unremovable trojan I have had to reformat my hard drive, but I don't seem to be able to get past 7% on the formatting of the drive. What is going wrong, have I really messed this one up? Rosalind
What method are you using to reformat? For instance are you using the XP installation CD? or perhaps a boot disk? You may benefit from consulting the Hard Drive Manufacturer's Website to obtain their specific version of Disk Health/Drive Fitness utility that can be run on your system in a pre-windows environment (directly from CD or Floppy) Keep us posted with your progress. Best Regards
Reformatting from recovery disc. What I was lacking was patience. Good news is it is up and running, so far have only installed on C. I reformatted them all, was not giving that trojan a chance at hiding in D backup or E recovery. Not sure I did the right thing, but something had to be done. So far have installed AVG 7.5 anti virus, spybot, ad-aware and Kerio firewall. What I am missing at the moment is SP2, not keen on connecting to the internet without it. Can I download onto memory pen using this computer? Rosalind

Can I download onto memory pen using this computer?


Sorry, I don't follow what you are asking here.

Do you mean that you have a copy of SP2 saved to a USB memory devise and wonder if you can run it from there?
Probably.
But you can also copy SP2 to your Hard Drive and run the install from there.
At the moment I am using my husbands laptop, my reformatted computer only has windows XP home version 2002, so don't think it even has SP1 on it. I don't want to connect it to the internet without. Can I download SP2 on to my memory pen using the laptop? Aslo having problem getting sound to work. Under system information there is nothing listed for sound card, and yet there must be one. If I look under sound devices there is a default device of MPU-401 which is working properly, is this what makes the computer beep? How do I find my sound card and get it working again. There doesn't appear to be any drivers for the speakers, they just plug in. Rosalind update to say that sound is now working, have installed drivers for VGA and sound, I'm learning, if all else fails read the instructions. :huh:
Yes you can download a copy of SP2 using your other computer. SP2 is comprehensive and has the necessary components of SP1, SP1a inclusive. Sounds like you may have learned that it is essential to install your Chipset Drivers? Also - Install DirectX 9.0c "before" installing SP2. You can download DirectX9.0c the same way you plan for SP2. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI