Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

right click on pages disabled

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bennybbb

bennybbb

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 05:58 PM

Once in a while I hit a page that is right click disabled. This is more of a nuisance than a problem, but I was wondering how this was accomplished, and if there is a way around it.

I use Firefox to surf eBay, I like to click on an item, then open sellers other items in tabs. It makes it very easy to look at lots of items quickly. When I go to one sellers auction http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem, it says right click is disabled by deadzoom. That is the image host, and I am only right clicking on the link to "sellers other auctions". I did not even know eBay pages could be "manipulated" by 3rd parties.

I am not very knowledgeable about computer workings, but is there a way I can disable the disabling feature?

Curiosity made me wonder, and I thank anyone in anticipation of a reply.

Ben

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:30 AM

hi The "right click disable" is usually a bit of Java script that can be included in the html code for the page concerned. The author of the page included this code (presumably provided by deadzoom) and therefore you cannot "disable what has been disabled! (after all it is the page owners code!) There are some workarounds if you really need to see the actual code, but for your stated purposes of comparison, they are more trouble than they are worth. (view source, bring up html code, copy and paste into a wysiwyg editor etc etc) Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 hammer51

hammer51

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:35 AM

Its probably a bit of java script thats preventing you. Web designers do try and use different scripts to prevent right clicks and image theft but unfortunalty there is no proper way around for them to prevent this, all you need to do is turn off scripting on that page. I use opera browser here and right click is ok on the link you provided and I am able to save the images if I wished. There is an extension for the firefox browser called no-script, try intergrating this into your firefox browser and see if this helps you.

Just remember to respect and observe any copyright laws that the owner has over an image. At a guess ebay is the owner of any images used on their site, I would advise that you check over their policy in order not to infringe it.

No script extension - https://addons.mozil...rg/firefox/722/
"Illegitimis non carborundum"

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:44 AM

Helpful reply Hammer51. :thumbup: Nice to have another knowledgeable Member around. Welcome to TC. Hope you stay around a bit. Best Regards, Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#5 bennybbb

bennybbb

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:20 PM

You guys are great! I just DL the no script, it did the trick and also looks like a nice safety feature, thank you very much. This place is incredible. I have spent probably 20 hrs reading and learning. The right click was not intended to copy the images. Dad was a patent/copyright attorney, I seem to have heard about this before...... B)

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:36 PM

Hi Hammer51, Looks like you were right on the button! Bennybbb seems well pleased, guess its time for you to take a bow! Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#7 hammer51

hammer51

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:50 PM

Glad to be of help :P

The right click was not intended to copy the images. Dad was a patent/copyright attorney, I seem to have heard about this before......

Its always worth mentioning though to others that may not be in the know

Regards...

#8 bizarrebob

bizarrebob

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Computers. Video games.

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:32 AM

Use Opera's browser. I assume they have this built in because i never get that problem on those sorts of pages. Even the Ebay page didn't stop me right clicking. Thanks to Hammer51 for the add-on

::: My Spec :::

Windows 7
Intel Core Duo @ 2.8ghz
4gb OCZ RAM @ 1066mhz
ATI 4870 512mb

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online

#9 xxdawnxx

xxdawnxx

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:24 AM

actually what browser do you guys think is the best? Opera?

#10 hammer51

hammer51

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:07 AM

I use IE7 and Firefox myself, I use IE7 on certain trusted sites only, while opera is used for general searching and browsing.