This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Help with isolating board problem?

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Not familiar with BIOS, will need a bit of push please. Also, I think I made a huge mistake when I ran that log. Those are the applications that I had running, or that had popped up i.e. media player. Those are disabled at start. The itouch is the keyboard, and without that starting up with the start I am dead. The XP speech thingie is a mystery. Once in a while when closing I get the message error "Cicerouiwinframe" which I googled and it comes back to the speech part of office which I never use. I do not know how to deactivate it, although what I read looks as though it is not needed. I unchecked NERO and HCONTROL from start up. I do not see MSpaint or Debugger listed there. With respect to the OS not updated, I thought it was. I visited MS when this mess started and trusted them to DL the updates. I did get several…
BIOS is Basic Input Output System for the Machine itself (Motherboard and CPU kinda language) The BIOS settings are set in what's known as the CMOS (a memory resident on the MotherBoard) Access to BIOS/CMOS is different on every darn machine, but is always a Keyboard key that must be hit immediately upon Boot. The Boot Screen will tell you which key it is for your machine at the very beginning as it is identifying the Drive and CD-ROM and RAM and Video Adapter. Down at the bottom of the screen that will still probably be "black" with "white" typed words, there will be a "message"" "To enter SetUp/BIOS press (a key)" Usually it is Del, or Esc, or F2 or F12, but your screen will tell you. That will open your BIOS SetUp. Your mouse will not work. You can navigate via Keyboard arrow keys and enter/Esc Don't make any changes, just navigate through the screens to discover if USB and USB legacy devises is enabled. Again, don't make any changes this first time as you are familiarizing yourself with your BIOS/CMOS. To "exit" the BIOS setup - hit Esc key. That will bring up a query "Exit saving Changes?" <—– you don't want to do that! You want ———–>"Exit without Saving Changes" <———– When you type "Y" for yes, the machine will re-enter the boot sequence and bring your windows up. About cftmon.exe ———— That gets on your machine (sometimes in the original install) and sometimes when you browse the internet to a page that requires some language translation. It is a handy component to have in some rare situations, but is hardly ever used. It is also the foundation for "audible machine reading" for some bind folks who talk to their machine and have their documents read outloud. cftmon.exe "cannot" be uninstalled. It can be "disabled" by unchecking it in MSCONFIG, but it will keep showing up in your PCPitstop results and in your HJT log. No problem. But "uncheck it" in MSCONFIG. Those other items "are" running or else they wouldn't be detected by your Pit Test and your HJT Log. Read through your MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab) and remove the checkmark from in front of the item. I realize that a corresponding items may not actually appear in MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab) and I don't mean to argue with you :) ……… just please check again, and if they're not there then we can leave them for now. but if they are, uncheck them. As you indicated in your previous reply, those application "may have been open" when you ran your HJT and your Pit Test……….. No problem. But it is better to close all applications prior to running either test. Don't worry about going back to correct the test or log at this time. We understand what probably happened, and know that it's not a problem. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI